cheap insulated stainless mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the stainless vessel in the Ebay OP, but come on...a "reserve not met" for an old stainless cooler, give me a break. Sorry, that's a pet peeve of mine, hate it, just sell the damn thing rather than posting it "reserved" like it is a precious heirloom. Set the minimum price that you would accept and let the bidding begin, silly games!

107 for shipping! give me a break. I never buy anything from an ebay seller thats trying to profit off shipping

As a frequent ebayer, I can understand shifting a few dollars from the price to the shipping instead (to reduce the seller's ebay fees), but not gouging the buyer like that.

Not done it yet but I'm looking at converting one of these.

http://www.burcodean.com/products/e...ers-thermostat/c30sthf-30-litre-safety-boiler

I'm also looking at getting a smaller one to do a bag type set up for 2 gallon test batches.

I picked up a Masterbuilt fryer/steamer off Ebay new almost a year ago for about $75. I just put a 5 gallon paint strainer bag over the stainless basket & I can mash up to 5 lbs of grains, easily making 2-3 gallon test batches.

It works out pretty well - looks like this:

electric_turkey_fryer.jpg

For the OP, I don't see why you couldn't mash in this. Might be a little tough getting a false bottom or stainless braid in there, probably not impossible.

When I look at this I think it might be a really nice single vessel for boil and ferment (extract only) if you're into that. Again the narrow opening would make it tough to chill, but all in all could be a fun project.

Back