Quantcast

Cheap copper wort chiller

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Superman3278

Reaction score
After much searcing for the best deal (penny saved is a pint brewed), I found Home Depot to be the cheapest, 20' 3/8 soft copper $11.96. Add a few more dollars for hose clamps and 3/8 vinal tubing and male/female garden hose end repair kit and "volla"!!
A friend asked for help making one and the end result was two chillers for 36 bucks, so for those of you who need one, make two.

Cheers

JMSetzler

Reaction score
Is that 3/8" OD or ID? I'm getting ready to build one but I want at least 50' of the tubing so I would want to get 3 lengths of this if it's the right size....

JMSetzler

Reaction score
I think I'm gonna build mine with 50' of 1/2" (3/8" ID) tubing. The tubing is a little more expensive but it will give me better and faster heat transfer. You did get an excellent price on the 3/8" tubing though. Thats' almost cheap enough to make me consider using it and building a double-coil chiller. I guess I'm gonna have to get the calculator out and do a little math and see if I could build a double-coil chiller with smaller tubing and get more effective heat transfer than I could with a single-coil of the larger tubing.

That should be boring enough... :)

mosquitocontrol

Reaction score
No heat transfer is the devil. Just assume what will work best. Calculate heat transfer? Yuck!

hammer one

Reaction score
Home depot screwed up there is no way it's that cheap. Go buy all they have.

JMSetzler

Reaction score
A double-coil chiller using the smaller tubing would be a good bit more efficient than a single coil of the next size up...

Splitting the incoming water feed into two separate tube coils increases the water volume and surface contact area quite a bit. It would be a pain in the ass to build it and it would also cost more.

However...

Two 25' coils instead of a single 50' coil wouldn't cost much more to put together and it would be a good bit more efficient than a single 50' coil... It would still be a pain in the ass to put together...

eriktlupus

Reaction score
A double-coil chiller using the smaller tubing would be a good bit more efficient than a single coil of the next size up...

Splitting the incoming water feed into two separate tube coils increases the water volume and surface contact area quite a bit. It would be a pain in the ass to build it and it would also cost more.

However...

Two 25' coils instead of a single 50' coil wouldn't cost much more to put together and it would be a good bit more efficient than a single 50' coil... It would still be a pain in the ass to put together...
why is it a pain in the a$$?

JPicasso

Hackbrewer extraordinaire
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I think the price of copper has been dropping since the summer 08.

20' 3/8 OD for $11 is a good deal, but not a dirt cheap, buy and sell on ebay price.

I got 50' of 1/2 at lowes for only $7 more than I could find online (w/shipping), but the $7 was good insurance that the rest of the pieces would fit, and I didn't want to wait a week.

I'm just saying that copper prices have been falling a bit, and you can get reasonable buys from the box stores now.

TommyBoy

Reaction score
20' 3/8 OD for $11 is a good deal, but not a dirt cheap, buy and sell on ebay price.

I got 50' of 1/2 at lowes for only $7 more than I could find online (w/shipping), but the $7 was good insurance that the rest of the pieces would fit, and I didn't want to wait a week.
I agree with Hammer with this being a screw up on their end pricing-wise. $18 for 50' is far off from this link...

Cerro at Lowe's: 1/2" ODx50' Copper Refrigeration Tubing

boyer411

Reaction score
I made mine from 50' of 1/2" refrigeration tubing. It cools 6 gallons of wort in under 10 minutes no problem. The whole set up cost me just under a hundred bucks. $18 is really cheap.

JPicasso

Hackbrewer extraordinaire
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, my 50' IC with fittings and all was about 75.

I don't see the $18 for 50', when I put in my zip, it returns $55 for that.
and the OP was getting 20' for $11. That's a reasonable price.

But yes. If you found 50' 1/2 inch for $18, you should buy several of them and make some money with resale.

cpl-america

Reaction score
I think I'm gonna build mine with 50' of 1/2" (3/8" ID) tubing. The tubing is a little more expensive but it will give me better and faster heat transfer. You did get an excellent price on the 3/8" tubing though. Thats' almost cheap enough to make me consider using it and building a double-coil chiller. I guess I'm gonna have to get the calculator out and do a little math and see if I could build a double-coil chiller with smaller tubing and get more effective heat transfer than I could with a single-coil of the larger tubing.

That should be boring enough... :)
the smaller the diameter of the tubing, the faster the heat transfer.

Latest posts