• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Cheap Copper at Home Depot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are the three photos, This is my my first attempt to phpto post

DSCN0830[1].jpg

DSCN0828[1].jpg

DSCN0829[1].jpg

Here is my counter flow chiller made from 3/8id and 3/4id copper. About 55 feet long. I put a port on the outlet for a temp probe. I had to use my little winch to pull the 3/8 through :)! Would have liked the coils to be a little neater, but I'm pretty happy with it.

ForumRunner_20131117_181057.jpg

ForumRunner_20131117_181337.jpg

60' of 1/2 for $27 at coram Ny Home Depot. Didn't see anymore of it there. Thanks for the heads up. Now to find a DIY thread.

Hey Mike, glad you scored the copper. I found some on ebay for a good price. There are cheap bending tools on Amazon, but I've had good luck bending tubing around jars or pipes for tight bends. A pot or bucket will do for the loops. There are some instructions in Palmer's "How to Brew". You can find the first edition online. I read somewhere that a washing machine hose will fit the ends of a 3/8", maybe not the 1/2". But some hose clamps, vinyl tube, hose fittings will make quick work of it.

Anyone willing to sell one? I'm at wits end trying to find 50' for under $95. I'd gladly pay a premium to any member.

Thanks. Might try to go big and include a pump and everything to chill so the wife gets off my back about all the wasted water. Makes my life easier anyway. If I see any other deals while at local HD's I'll lyk.

No Home Depots closer than a hundred miles from where I am right now (at work, in Blythe, CA). Wish I'd seen this thread a couple of weeks ago when I was home...

I may make a run to the Coachella Valley/Palm Springs area tomorrow to take care of some business; I'll definitely cross my fingers and hit a HD there.

If anyone in or near NC got some and feels like shipping, I bet it would still be cost effective to do so and I'd be willing. Unless the 50' IC for sale here ends up being sold to me, of course. :)

I ended up getting a 1/2" o.d. x 60' for $35, only other option i saw was the 3/4" o.d. x 60' for $80.

I already have a 75 foot stainless immersion chiller and was thinking of using the new one for a prechiller. I would still be years away from a HERMS type system for using it.

Any other options? Can I make it into a wort chiller with compression fittings and use it for HERMS if I want later? I know very little about using pumps or anything of that nature. I plan on having a gravity system for a while at my current house until I have a garage I could use for a rig.

I bought the 1/2 x 50' without knowing what to do with it. I think I will make a prechiller for my cfc that I recently made. Here in Texas, I am finally getting down to the tap water temps that I want to chill my wort. Come late Spring, I will not be able to chill completely with our tap water temps.

I checked in the Coachella/Indio/Palm Springs area today. Twenty-something bucks for ten feet.... if they ever discounted, it's come and gone.

Has anyone in North TX found this deal on copper at HD? I have not had any luck at any of the stores north of DFW. :(

For the people who aren't having any luck, ask the staff to check clearance racks. When I went in they only had full price items listed with stickers, but I mentioned that I had read online some copper tubing was on clearance at other stores. The guy went to the next isle over's clearance area and found some 60' 1/2" ID for 29$. There was no tag or anything, he had to check using the barcode and his HD app.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, or if this is even accurate, but the clearance might be on Mueller brand only. I can't remember if I had read that earlier in the thread, if the guy at HD mentioned it, or if I'm just making the memory up. I feel like I heard HD was switching suppliers so they were getting rid of old stock. Maybe that was just a theory, but it might be worth asking about that brand.

An employee at my local store laughed in my face when I asked about it. He said I was lied to and that they would never lower the price on copper for any reason ever. I told him I had seen photos of the discount stickers and he said maybe in other states, but definitely not around here. I looked and didn't see any sale prices on anything. Shame, I really could use a 50' chiller.

An employee at my local store laughed in my face when I asked about it. He said I was lied to and that they would never lower the price on copper for any reason ever. I told him I had seen photos of the discount stickers and he said maybe in other states, but definitely not around here. I looked and didn't see any sale prices on anything. Shame, I really could use a 50' chiller.

I went to one HD and took a picture of the 'clearance sticker' because they were out. I took the pic to a 2nd HD and the lady didn't believe me. She looked it up anyway and sure enough, they had one left. She said to me "I can scrap it and make money."

Anyway, I'm betting the rep you spoke to was just like all the others and just isn't aware.

I found the 1/2" i.d. x 60' for $35 in the Fort Worth area. They also had the 3/4" x 60' for $80. Both of those were 75% off. I did not see any others on sale, and I had to price check the 1/2" i.d. since it said it was $90. May run by another home depot today and check.

This is what I was able to find today. $35.00 for 60 feet of 1/2 inch, they had 60 foot of 3/4 for 60 bucks... I would have bought it also but my wife would have killed me..

2013-11-22_11-36-40_475.jpg

I've seen this thread for what, two weeks plus? I keep forgetting to swing by the local HD (Grafton, WI) to see if they've got any. Tonight I remembered to stop in, thinking there's no way, no way there'd be any left, if there were even any to begin with.

I look. Hmm, no such animal. Not even a place on the shelf for it along with all the other copper tubing. I'll ask someone because, why not, right?

So I get someone. Tell him what I'm looking for. He tells me I'm crazy, they'd never sell that much copper pipe for that cheap. But he gets a ladder and starts going through an upper shelf down the isle from the rest of the copper tubing. Sure as ****! Score! One box left of 1/2" ID 60 foot long copper tubing. Price: $28.54 out the door.

FWIW I went to the Glendale CA HD.... None on the shelf... The sales associate said there was 1 still in the system... He climbed up the ladder to look for me. No dice. He said there were none (of the 1/2" 50 ft) in stock nearby.

So there might be 1 in Glendale if you can get someone to find it for you.

Pretty sure I'm gonna end up selling mine and buying a pre made one. Just don't have the time with a major surgery approaching. I'm out on eastern Long Island if someone local is interested pm me.

I went by my local HD store. They pretty much laughed at the thought of copper tubing being "on clearance" or "on sale." I may have to go back and look in their clearance section. Or ask them to look for me.

We stopped off at our local H D store to pick up a Christmas tree today. I told my GF I want to take a quick peek just in case. Well I had to climb the shelf about two feet up to reach it, but I got a 1/2" x 50' with the tag conveniently cut off. I took it to the service desk and told them I knew it had been on clearance but the tag was missing. We haggled a bit and settled on 29.00 Not the best price I've seen on here, but not to shabby either.

Obviously there is a counter flow wort chiller in my future. :D

Well, I picked up a roll of 3/8x50' for a hair over $1/foot last night. :( Not a great savings, but at least I can make a pre-chiller now.

Anyone have a SKU number for the HD SALE tubing? I think if I went in there cold.. they would give me a "WHAT????"

I believe it's posted in a pic on the first page and right around the first few posts.

Back