Cheap apple juice at Meijer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newell456

Reaction score
If you live near a Meijer store, meijer is selling frozen apple juice concentrate without preservatives (except vitamin C) for a buck a can until 1/5/08. Each can makes a quart and a half. I bought enough to make a 5 gallon batch and then got a couple of rainchecks because they were out, so I'll be stocked up for awhile.

My BIL used to work for Meijer and got a healthy employee discount. I miss not having a Meijer nearby, I rarely shop Wal Mart.

:off: I grew up in Mason. Are you from East Lansing or a transplant?

newell456 said:
If you live near a Meijer store, meijer is selling frozen apple juice concentrate without preservatives (except vitamin C) for a buck a can until 1/5/08. Each can makes a quart and a half. I bought enough to make a 5 gallon batch and then got a couple of rainchecks because they were out, so I'll be stocked up for awhile.

East Lansing, Your the closest Mi Brewer I have seen on here. Where do you buy your supplies from?

I live in East Lansing. I get my brewing supplies from "The Red Salamander" in Grand Ledge, which is awesome. It's further from me than Michigan Brewing Company, but I think of MBC as like Home Depot, and the Red Salamnder is like the local hardware store with someone who knows what they're talking about. If you go in and say you want to brew any kind of beer, whether it's extract, partial mash, or full mash, they can come up with a recipe from thin air. I like to come in with recipes, but sometimes after a long day I just want to pick up stuff and go home and brew.

MBC has some good beer though. On Mondays, you can buy a case of their beer out the door for 20 bucks (I have yet to be charged extra for deposit). They have an agreement with their distributor not to sell to the public for less than they sell to the distributor, so you get the distributor's prices on Monday! And you can always mix and match, so when I buy a case from them, it usually has at least a dozen different brews in it. It's like the "Towne Club" of beer stores if you can remember back that far. And their labels peel better than anyone else's if you soak them overnight. Awesome bottles, but they don't really know that much in the supply store.

RICLARK said:
East Lansing, Your the closest Mi Brewer I have seen on here. Where do you buy your supplies from?

I see you're from Grand Ledge, so I spose I don't have to tell you about the Red Salamander.

Flyin' Lion said:
My BIL used to work for Meijer and got a healthy employee discount. I miss not having a Meijer nearby, I rarely shop Wal Mart.

:off: I grew up in Mason. Are you from East Lansing or a transplant?

Not from here originally. I am originally from an area near Greeenville called trufant that no one has ever heard of. Lived in the UP for awhile for School (Marquette), than moved here for law school and stayed after I found a state job.

Cool, "The Red Salamander" is like 5 blocks from my house so Im in there a couple times a week there great guys in there so its nice to go in there and just BS with them for a little while. I have not been to MBC since they moved so I need to get out there and check it out.

RICLARK said:
Cool, "The Red Salamander" is like 5 blocks from my house so Im in there a couple times a week there great guys in there so its nice to go in there and just BS with them for a little while. I have not been to MBC since they moved so I need to get out there and check it out.

Those guys are awesome. I love that they're sampling beer whenever I come in. I have been meaning to make it to one of their brew club meetings some time, but I have a 14 month old and a 3 month old, so it's not really happening. MBC has a lot of stuff but not much knowlegdge there. Unlike the RS, they never answer the phone and I drove all the way out once to find out that they were out a fermenter lids and then had to drive to Grand Ledge. I just assumed they would have them because they were out of them a month before, so I figured they would just order some. They really seem to have more at RS, which is very odd because RS has so much less retail space than MBC. However, MBC's new bar is awesome, and they have 16 beers on tap!

http://www.michiganbrewing.com/Pub/pub.htm

When things settlle down from the Holidays, we should make a pilgrimage some weekend and do the brewery tour and then the pub. I bet my wife could drop us off and pick us up later in the day so we don't have to drive!

newell456 said:
Those guys are awesome. I love that they're sampling beer whenever I come in. I have been meaning to make it to one of their brew club meetings some time, but I have a 14 month old and a 3 month old, so it's not really happening. MBC has a lot of stuff but not much knowlegdge there. Unlike the RS, they never answer the phone and I drove all the way out once to find out that they were out a fermenter lids and then had to drive to Grand Ledge. I just assumed they would have them because they were out of them a month before, so I figured they would just order some. They really seem to have more at RS, which is very odd because RS has so much less retail space than MBC. However, MBC's new bar is awesome, and they have 16 beers on tap!

http://www.michiganbrewing.com/Pub/pub.htm

When things settlle down from the Holidays, we should make a pilgrimage some weekend and do the brewery tour and then the pub. I bet my wife could drop us off and pick us up later in the day so we don't have to drive!

You bet, Have you ever went to Dustys cellar for for supplies? They are as plentiful as TRS but they do have some things on hand and there opened on sundays if you get in a bind.

RICLARK said:
You bet, Have you ever went to Dustys cellar for for supplies? They are as plentiful as TRS but they do have some things on hand and there opened on sundays if you get in a bind.

Dusty's doesn't have any brewing supplies to speak of anymore. Not even malt. They basically stopped doing it and set that stuff in a corner. I bought some yeast there to make root beer and it was dead. They have montly beer tasting/wine tastings that you can register to attend on their website, which are pretty cool. It's like $15 for the beer tasting, but it goes for 2-3 hours and they will keep refilling. Some of the beers are really expensive, so if you drink fast, you really get your money's worth. Fortunately, it's only a couple of blocks from my house. They don't have any scheduled for now, but check back.

http://www.dustyscellar.com/index.cfm?goto=upcoming_events

Hey Lansing area brewers. Got to Michigan Brewing in Webberville (a couple exits east on Okemos on 96). They have a very nice brewing supply store there called "Things Beer". http://www.michiganbrewing.com/Home.jsp

I bought 50# of Breiss 2-row for $33. Great prices on specialty grains too, pre-packaged in pound bags. Plus Wyeast and White Labs, all kinds of equipment, etc.

The adjoining brewpub has 14 beers on taps, and good food prices.

Definitely worth checking out. I stop by whenever I'm going to or coming from Lansing.

newell456 said:
Not from here originally. I am originally from an area near Greeenville called trufant that no one has ever heard of. Lived in the UP for awhile for School (Marquette), than moved here for law school and stayed after I found a state job.

Ahh, Trufant, a 'burb of Coral:mug: I used to work in Edmore, you prolly know where that is:D

I went to "eNMU" in the early 80's.

To stay on topic, the MiL works at the Jennison (near Hudsonville) Meijer's. Have to see what kind of discount she can get.

Roger

I'm a big fan of The Red Salamander - they have been key in my home brewing experience. Keep an eye on Dusty's, though. There are plans to re-focus the HB aspect of the store. And being open Sundays is a big bonus.

Latest posts

Back