cheap apple juice alert

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polboy

Reaction score
I just realized that costco has $2 off coupons valid till 09/11 on 2 gal Mott apple juice, it makes around $4 for 2gal in my store, perfect deal for cider making, im gone get 8 gals :)

I always stock up on Motts when Costco has it on sale. If you keg, ferment the juice and sweeten with 5 to 7 cans of concentrate and it will taste Woodchuck.

I've been considering making cider for SWMBO. Can I really just use plain old motts apple juice? I assume I pasteurize and then pitch? What yeast? How long do you age it before bottling? And when you back sweeten how do you prevent another fermentation? Keep it cold? Or campden tabs?

Sorry for the questions. I can do ag beer no prob but the cider thing I've not tried yet.

Just got 8gal of motts
Well its gona be my first cider but my plan is as follow:
Im gona make 6gal total, 5 goes straight from the gal jugs in to the fermenting bucket one i want to boil, add some brown and regular sugar (i still dont know how much but i have 2lbs each in my head right now, someone please advise on this) and some cinnamon sticks, then whushh in to the bucket :), all this gona happen on saturday as its my brewing day and i should have safale 05 yeast starter ready so i split it between cider and 10gal sweet stout. This sweet stout gave me idea to back sweeten with lactose but later... much later as im gona ferment for 2 weeks or so then rack to the glass carboy (if there is much space left i will add more juice) and wait and wait and wait then on one cold day in February or March i will rack 2/3 what i will have in the bottling bucket add lactose to my taste and put half of it in the bottles, other half i will prime with regular sugar and bottle and last part without lactose nor sugar i will try to freeze. Final product:
2 gal of little sweet and sparkly, 2 just sweet and i dont know 2 qts of applejack

I've been considering making cider for SWMBO. Can I really just use plain old motts apple juice? I assume I pasteurize and then pitch? What yeast? How long do you age it before bottling? And when you back sweeten how do you prevent another fermentation? Keep it cold? Or campden tabs?

Sorry for the questions. I can do ag beer no prob but the cider thing I've not tried yet.

I made an apple wine with the kirklands best "fresh pressed" bottled apple juice and it turned out pretty good. Last time I used motts and it was way tart.

Back