Cheap and Good Beer Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneawesomeguy

Reaction score
Share your recipes for really cheap beer you have made that came out pretty good. Include ingredients and process, approx. cost, and your rating (out of 50).

Kentucky Common. Buying in bulk, under $10 for 5gal. See signature link for more info. Here are some reviews:

http://justdrinkbeer.com/component/...rew-beer-reviews/696-odaniels-kentucky-common

Recipe: O'Daniel's Kentucky Common #3
Brewer: O'Daniel
Asst Brewer:
Style: Specialty Beer
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.41 gal
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 15.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 24.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 90.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 64.71 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 29.41 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 2.94 %
4.0 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 2.94 %
1.00 oz Cluster [7.00 %] (60 min) Hops 24.9 IBU
1 Pkgs SafAle US-05 (DCL Yeast #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 8.50 lb
----------------------------
My Mash
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Step Add 12.75 qt of water at 163.3 F 150.0 F

Notes:
------
Mash for 18 hours.

Some people get great efficiency with this beer, some don't. This particular recipe was 6.0% abv. Mine have always ranged from 5.5-6%.

My favorite recipe on the cheap is patersbier, because I usually have a pitch of the yeast (Trappist high gravity) lying around. If you didn't want to buy a smack pack, you could culture dregs from your favorite belgian style beer.

9 lbs pilsener
mash low, 148*

90 minute boil
hop with whatever noble hop is convenient. I usually have a pound of saaz in the freezer

shoot for 27 ibu, bittering at 60 min. Add a 10 minute addition of saaz, tett, mt hood, etc for a wee bit of hop flavor

Yea instead of mashing for 1 hour, mash for 18hrs. It creates just a hint of sourness, barely perceptible. It changes the characteristics of the beer.

So, is that suggested for the recipe or is it either way? I was confused because you listed the 60 minute rest and then the 18 in the notes

Highly suggested. BeerSmith mash time is in minutes and I didn't want to put 1080 minutes. Sorry for the confusion. Everything else is like a normal brew day, you just mash longer, that's it.

Back