Cheap 10 Gal kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpbergie

Reaction score
Just got this in an email. Looks like it could be a great deal if you need an upgrade.

http://northernbrewer.com/kettles.html

Used 10 Gallon Stainless Kettle, dings and dents $59.95
EACH

We've come across a bunch of 10 gallon stainless steel kettles that, in all honesty, look like they've been abused and neglected. There are numerous dents and dings that may require you to pound out with a rubber mallet. They could also use a good cleaning, as they were obviously stored outside for a while. But if you are looking for a no-frills stainless steel 10 gallon kettle, or several, you won't find them much cheaper than right here. Quantities are limited, first-come first-served.

Th pot would be considerably lighter, is smaller, and may not have all of that moral baggage that a keg might.

I already have a keggle fully built and a second keg ready to make into my HLT or I'd consider it.

It's going to be direct fire. I think I would have used another cooler if it were a holding tank, although heat loss out here in the summer isn't a big deal.

As long as I thread jacked, I actually have to decide whether to use a rather unsightly and umseemly AB keg OR use a European 50L (13ish gal.?) keg of unknown origin (EDIT: Radegast, CZECH). I thinking the loss in volume just for heating water won't ever really matter.

I plan on building hardscape in my backyard, incorporating elements of an outdoor fireplace, grilling area and seating area to create my tiers and storing all of my equipment in a stoarage box behind the fireplace.

Would you have coupling & half coupling welded on, or silver solder them on. Is there any one else that is fabricating keggles that back welds the couplings on the inside and polishes the weld smooth on the inside.

Bobby_M said:
Why all the fuss about polishing smooth and such? There's no need to sanitize an HLT or brew kettle. You could go really cheap and use a weldless fitting.

I can see arguments for both. The one I got from pedalbiker was welded on the outside. The next one that I do, I'm leaving that to the discretion of the welder.

As for weld vs weldless. Just a fetish I guess. Also I decided that, although I have the skills to cut the holes and the hole in the top. I just don't enjoy that aspect of it. I'll let a professional do it and spare my neighbors the noise.

Bobby_M said:
IMHO, once you commit to a 10gallon pot, you might as well go to a keggle. It would cost about the same and both require an outdoor burner.

Depends on how good of a deal you can get for a keggle. This is a steal for a 10 gallon pot.

I'm wondering if this would work for a mashtun. I'm contemplating going to a direct fired (or something like it) mash tun soon...this might work perfect.

Dude said:
Depends on how good of a deal you can get for a keggle. This is a steal for a 10 gallon pot.

I'm wondering if this would work for a mashtun. I'm contemplating going to a direct fired (or something like it) mash tun soon...this might work perfect.

If you're using it as a mash tun, I'm assuming you'd wrap it in some insulation so that you'd never even know that it was all beat up.

the_bird said:
If you're using it as a mash tun, I'm assuming you'd wrap it in some insulation so that you'd never even know that it was all beat up.

Exactly.

I need to clear it with the boss...but I think I'm going to order one of these tonight.

Bobby_M said:
Assuming everyone is within driving distance to a scrap yard, they'll go between $32-40 due to the current price of SS. That's still cheaper than the banged up NB stock.

Unfortunately, I've looked for kegs. No luck here.

Ultimately I'd like the ability to have a bigger mash tun but I think 10 gallons will suit me fine for a long time.

Back