Chatroom 4 Hop, Hop Grenade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koomber

Reaction score
Whilst drinking on the chatroom I asked a simple question:

<koomber> simcoe, cascade, amarillo or pacifica... who shall go into my IPA?....

the unanimous verdict was: all of them.

Now, usually I'm happy putting together a recipe, I can figure it out, but usually I put together a recipe with 1 or 2 hops. Not 4. I realise this is probably a daft idea, but as a Scot, the 4 hops in an IPA just appeals. It seems so totally American (I mean that in a good way).

I'm not really thinking something that would be in style but more in spirit... the sort of "Bad Idea? I'm doing it" attitude that seems to epitomise American Craft Beers.

Looking at the alpha acids, I'd probably go with the simcoe for bittering and maybe a bit later on for flavour or aroma, but I really draw a blank on the rest of it.

I've come up with two possible scenarios:
(I should probably mention I get my hops in roughly 4oz bags)

1. 4 Hops, 4 Brews. The same weight of additions, the same time of additions and the same malts. The only thing that changes is the order of addition.

2. Lump it all together and make a monster. Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some simcoe used for bittering, and the rest will be a cluster... rumpus. Just mix them hops and launch them in.

For the malts I was going to go for:

11lbs Maris Otter
1lb Munich Malt
.5lb Torrified Wheat
.5lb CaraAroma

So what says you forum? The 4x4 or the monster

What I've decided to do is go for the 1 hop IPA using the following simplified process. May I present, the 2x4 IPA:

11lbs Maris Otter
1lb Munich Malt
.5lb Torrified Wheat
.5lb CaraAroma

Mashed at a medium body temp in Beersmith (don't have beersmith to hand)

2oz Hops @ 60 minutes
2oz Hops @ 30/20 minutes
2oz Hops @ Flame Out
2oz Hops @ Dry Hop
(hence the 2x4)

Obiously this will result in some very different beers (for example, Simcoe Vs Amarillo would have vastly different bitterness) but I think in general this would be okay for most hops.

Seems a bit more sensible whilst still being capable of producing some very American Craft Beers.

Any thoughts?

koomber, you ever end up brewing these?

i'm interested in the pacifica ipa...seems my LHBS has a bunch on hand right now, and wouldn't mind trying a pacifica ipa

Back