Chapman MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoB Lever

Reaction score
For those that have this mash tun - are you using the upper port? What are you using it for - recirculation, sparge? Pics would be great!

I have a 15 gallon. I use the upper port for recirculating. I don’t have any pics, sorry my gear is buried away in the garage. I just use a silicone hose on the inside that I lay beneath my floating mash cap (stainless cake pan). I do no-sparge. This works well for me, although I think I may look into some sort of recirc arm.

I have a 15 gallon. I use the upper port for recirculating. I don’t have any pics, sorry my gear is buried away in the garage. I just use a silicone hose on the inside that I lay beneath my floating mash cap (stainless cake pan). I do no-sparge. This works well for me, although I think I may look into some sort of recirc arm.

In recirculating, how are you holding temp?

I am currently upgrading from a single infusion mash to a HERMs. In the past I would just recirculate a few minutes at the end of the mash to vorlauf before I pump the wort to the brew kettle (I am sure I would lose a few degrees doing this, but at that point I was ok with it). The recirc port has worked well for me doing a vorlauf. I have no reason to think it would not work well with a HERMS or RIMS (or whatever mash temperature control one may use). If you were to fly sparge, just using a hose like I do may lead to channeling. I’m not sure, I have never fly sparged and do no-sparge now.

Back