Chapman Brewing Equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MI_Dogman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewers,

Does anybody have any experience or knowledge of Chapman Brewing Equipment? I am looking at there 7 gallon fermenters, and really like the price on them. I would love stainless steel conical fermenters, but I can get two 7 gallon fermenters for half the price of on conical.

https://www.chapmanequipment.com/product/7-gallon-steeltank-double-deal

Thanks,

-Dogman

Yeah, there's a couple of threads on here about them.

Thread 1

Thread 2

I backed them as part of their Kickstarter. TL;DR version is that I sold off my fermenter, not because the volume markings were incorrect, but because it didn't work in my setup. I had severe problems with the kettle to the point I requested a refund. I am however quite happy with my Thermobarrel.

What were your problems with the Kettle(I'm assuming your brew kettle, unless your talking about the fermenter).

Did you have any issues with your fermenters lid not sealing?

Did it come with a silicone gasket for the lid?

For the problems I had with my kettle see here and here.

For what it's worth, Steve Chapman always seemed like a stand up guy, offered, and then delivered a refund.

I actually never even used the fermenter. I pretty much sold it off the day it showed up. I'm pretty sure that it had a silicone gasket to keep it sealed.

Thanks or your input and direction. For the price, it definitely seems worth a try if Chapman is a stand up guy. Sounds like I wouldn't have to worry about a refund if I was not satisfied with the product. I would love a nice shinny expensive conical, but if I can get a couple of his fermenters for half the price then its worth it.

Oh yeah, Steve and I must have had 50 or more emails back and forth, and he definitely came through on his word.

Just wanted to make sure you didn't miss my comment about the volume markings on the fermenters being incorrect. I'm not sure how important that is to you, but I don't think it's called out on their website (at least the last time I checked).

Also some people were upset that it wasn't 304 stainless that was used (sorry, I forget which exact stainless was used), claiming that 304 should be used for brewing, but after 7 batches in my Thermobarrel I'm not experiencing any problems.

I have two of the Fermentation buckets. One of my original buckets did not seal properly so Chapman paid to have it returned and sent me one that worked properly.

I have used each bucket now a couple times and they have worked great. Two lagers two ales.

Only problem I've experienced is I need to rig up a racking arm or something. The ball valve at the bottom is sonewhat useless for me because my yeast/trub levels are higher than the valve output.

Overall I would highly recommend buying one. My 50ft immersion chiller fits perfectly in the bucket so I transfer my hot wort to the bucket, chill there, pull chiller and bam ready to go. Slapping your temp probe to the side keeps them temp regulated very easily

Oh yeah, Steve and I must have had 50 or more emails back and forth, and he definitely came through on his word.

Just wanted to make sure you didn't miss my comment about the volume markings on the fermenters being incorrect. I'm not sure how important that is to you, but I don't think it's called out on their website (at least the last time I checked).

Also some people were upset that it wasn't 304 stainless that was used (sorry, I forget which exact stainless was used), claiming that 304 should be used for brewing, but after 7 batches in my Thermobarrel I'm not experiencing any problems.

They are made of 201 stainless like the majority of kitchen ware and foodservice stainless... 304 is normally used in breweries where strong caustic cleaners are used 201 stainless is actually 30% stronger than 304 so it should hold up great in a homebrewery.

http://www.stainlesssteelblog.com/2012/11/304-vs-201-stainless-steel.html

There is a guy in the DIY show us your brew stand thread who uses both the smaller and 14 gallon versions and loves them. he stated the valve was like 2" off the bottom and high enough to clear the yeast cake so if thats true you must have a lot of trub frostbrewer?
They appear to be a great value. They may have also fixed the volume markings by now? I never really understood them in a fermenter since as soon as the yeast forms and settles they are all off anyway right?

BTW chapman has a store on ebay and normally sells them cheaper there I believe... Thats where I found him.

They are made of 201 stainless like the majority of kitchen ware and foodservice stainless... 304 is normally used in breweries where strong caustic cleaners are used 201 stainless is actually 30% stronger than 304 so it should hold up great in a homebrewery.

Yeah, there was quite a debate going on in one of the other threads about it. TBH it's a bit over my head as I'm not a metal expert, but again, I've not experienced any issues with my Thermobarrel.

Yeah, there was quite a debate going on in one of the other threads about it. TBH it's a bit over my head as I'm not a metal expert, but again, I've not experienced any issues with my Thermobarrel.

Those thermobarrels are a good value ... especially the 10 gallon one for 279 without the ballvalve and such... The 20 gallon version is almost $100 less than SS brewing version.

basically people believe that 304 or better yet 316 is better which it is in some circumstances it is, again where nasty chemicals and caustic cleaners are used , in a homebrewing application its just not needed from a practical standpoint... hell even stainless isnt needed but it has advatages and you get those same advantages with 201 or 304 in this case.
Has your thermobarrel rusted at all? That was one of the things skeptics said could happen but being that most stainless pots and pans and utensils are made from 201 I doubt its a real concern.

There is a guy in the DIY show us your brew stand thread who uses both the smaller and 14 gallon versions and loves them. he stated the valve was like 2" off the bottom and high enough to clear the yeast cake so if thats true you must have a lot of trub frostbrewer?

To be fair the time I tried it was on a lager so maybe there was a ton of extra yeast in addition to my trub.

I'm also a person that just dumps everything in. Maybe i should consider filtering a bit until i can create an adjustable racking arm

Has your thermobarrel rusted at all?

No, after 7 brews (7 this weekend), it is squeaky clean. I've not yet taken the couplers apart to check for rust/corrosion, as that was the post I remember where someone was complaining; however, shining a flashlight through them I can't see anything.

Ah Ok, That's some good info! I appreciate it. Thanks for the 304ss info as well.

What kind of cleaner would you use on 201?

Pbw, oxy, barkeepers friend.. Anything sold in the lhbs store will be fine.. In commercial breweries they use strong caustic acids to dissolve the residues..
As always bleach is not good for stainless and with eat it over time.
I used to be a maintenance man in a large restaurant and I remember jb welding many stainless sinks at the bottom were pinholes would developed from the bleach used especially the bar sinks.. I would use the jb weld to buy time until they were replaced.

Not to steal this thread but @augiedoggy, I have a 25 gallon stainless Polarware stainless pot that I got a real good price on. Unfortunately when I filled it with water it had several little pin holes in it that weep water. I suspect it might be that someone stored a bleach substance in it for a period of time. I wanted to use this as a mash tun but did not know how to fix the pin holes. Do you think a little JB weld would hold well enough to use it. Would it be food safe if applied to the outside? Any thought would be appreciated.

Not to steal this thread but @augiedoggy, I have a 25 gallon stainless Polarware stainless pot that I got a real good price on. Unfortunately when I filled it with water it had several little pin holes in it that weep water. I suspect it might be that someone stored a bleach substance in it for a period of time. I wanted to use this as a mash tun but did not know how to fix the pin holes. Do you think a little JB weld would hold well enough to use it. Would it be food safe if applied to the outside? Any thought would be appreciated.

Yes jb weld will work great for this and is completely food safe when cured :mug:

Back