Chanterelle Mushrooms and BJCP Styles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old_tx_kbb

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'd recently read Mosher's book, Radical Brewing, and noted a recipe that included Chanterelle mushrooms. My question is what BJCP styles/guidelines are appropriate when using the Chanterelles. Should they be considered as a fruit style(category 20 ), a Spice/Herb/Vegetable ( category 21A ), a Specialty ( category 23 )...possibly even a Belgian Specialty ( category 16 E )...or even within a Saison ( category 16C ). If any BJCP judges or other homebrew competition gurus could offer their insight or advice; it would be greatly appreciated.

In the last competition I entered, I included an Imperial Rye IPA that I had used 3 pounds of rye. I included that information as a special ingredient and entered it as a category 23, Specialty ( as mentioned in the guidelines ). The judging feedback I'd gotten was that it was a great beer, but should have been entered as category 14C, an Imperial IPA....and it was scored it extremely low. The judges had noted that it would have been scored very high as a 14C ( I thought judges moved beers to other appropriate categories if they felt like the beer was entered in the wrong category???...I may be wrong with that thought).

Did the judges say why it was mis-entered? If the rye character was muted or not apparent, that would be a reason it might not do well in the Specialty category.

I would probably enter a mushroom beer in the spice /herb /vegetable category, depending on how it came out.

I agree with the vegetable category. Makes sense to me. Maybe even an earthy portobella smooth porter would also work...just an idea.

Back