Changing Up Partial Mash Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mddonelan

Reaction score
My goal for 2017 is to brew 12 different batches of a similar beer but changing up 1 ingredient in each 5G batch.

The base batch was:
7 lb pilsen light dme
1 lb munich malt (mashed at 170 for 15 min)
1 oz mosaic at 60
1 oz mosaic at 5
1 oz mosaic at flame out for 15
1 oz mosaic dry hop for 5 days

I would like to incorporate rye into the next batch. Can i do a straight substitute by removing the munich and adding rye? What type of Rye would need to be used?

Thanks. :mug:

Malted rye will have more diastatic power than Munich but that won't matter for this kind of beer. I do think you i will be disappointed with only a pound of rye as there won't be a big flavor contribution from that amount. You can directly substitute the rye malt for the Pilsen Light but it needs a little more weight of rye malt. Try using 6 lb pilsen light dme and 2 1/4 pounds of rye malt.

RM-MN thank you for responding. Maybe I should of been clearer.

My initial thought was to swap the Munich for Flaked Rye then mash it. I am going to take your advise from the previous post just curious how this would of affected the brew.

*After reading a couple other posts, do you think the mosaic will work for this batch?

170* is too hot to mash, you want to be more in the 150-155 range. You can't mash flaked rye by itself, you need a base malt to convert it. Munich and rye malt both have diastatic power and can be mashed by themselves, as RM-MN already noted.

Flaked rye has not been malted and thus has no ability to convert its starches to sugars (diastatic power). Malted rye is what you need with your dme. You could use half flaked and half malted rye as the malted rye has enough diastatic power to convert the sugars in the flaked rye.

I've never used Mosaic hops. If you want the flavors of the hops to dominate you have the right idea. If you want to see the contribution of the rye that might not be the best choice.

Back