Changing to Better Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barley-Davidson

Reaction score
After a non-incident this morning bottling my stout, I think all new carboy purchases are going to be better bottles.
I accidentally banged two full glass carboys together while I was picking one up :eek: ; all I could think of was loss of beer, loss of blood, and SWMBO’s loss of temper. Luckily neither one broke, but why chance it.

I'm with you B-D! I almost tripped with a glass carboy on my way down the steps into the basement on Tuesday. Thursday morning I ordered two six gallon Better Bottles. I've had far too many near misses and it's just a matter of time. Starsan is slippery, they're heavy when they're full, and I've heard the horror stories of members here who've made emergency room visits because of them. I can't wait 'til my Better Bottles arrive this week!

I'm just getting into the hobby, but purchased 3 better bottles because of this exact reason. Easier to move, safer, and you still get to see the lovely fermenting action. ;)

I bought a better bottle about a year back. I used it once, then like an idiot, I used my carboy brush while cleaning it out. It now has faint little scratches all over the inside. The little scratches make me nervous about using it again. I actually needed it a couple weeks ago, but still felt better just going out and buying a new carboy.

Has anybody used a brush to clean your better bottle? Any problems afterward?

I think it would be fine, but I just can't get over the fear of getting it infected that way.

I'm glad you have decided to make the switch as your odds for having a carboy break for no apparent reason have just increased exponentially after clanking two of them together.

jerly said:
I bought a better bottle about a year back. I used it once, then like an idiot, I used my carboy brush while cleaning it out. It now has faint little scratches all over the inside. The little scratches make me nervous about using it again. I actually needed it a couple weeks ago, but still felt better just going out and buying a new carboy.

Has anybody used a brush to clean your better bottle? Any problems afterward?

I think it would be fine, but I just can't get over the fear of getting it infected that way.

Better-Bottle specifically states on their website, and the literature that came with mine, to NEVER use a brush of any kind to clean the inside of one, because it will scratch! Use at your own risk. No need for a brush anyway. An overnight soak in PBW will remove anything that you can throw at them.

when i clean a BB i use oxy-clean and a wash rag stuffed into the bottle. just slosh the whole mass around, the rag will take anything off that's in there. BB plastic repels most eveything as long as it's not scratched.

happy brewing:rockin:

BB's are just so much better. I'm actually one of the guys who buy not only the BB's but the accessories as well. These things make my brewing so much easier. No more racking canes, no siphons..and they drain quick as all hell. I love them.

Dan

I brewed on Thursday and dropped a five gallon carboy on my driveway - it was half full of sanitizer and only dropped about 12 inches but it still sliced my foot pretty badly - the neighbor came over to see if I was ok - luckily I didn't drop my other carboy and continued with my brewing - the beer should be fine

No more carboys for me - I'm going to buy a BB and stop using the glass - it wasn't much fun

I can't seem to find them cheaper shipped than glass picked up, with a big markup....so that is why I've been sticking to glass, easy to get from the LHBS

Morebeer ships 'em under the free shipping program, but charges shipping for glass. If you're pick up 3 or more that's free shipping ;).

Back