Changing in and out on a keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadGuyNick

Reaction score
I don't even know how to search for this, I tried to find an answer. I bought a couple of kegs some months ago, used of craigslist. They looked fine, and one is. I didn't notice the other though, the out side is kind of bashed in. This makes it impossible to put the dip tube back in without using a hammer. It makes the dip tube lower, essentially.

Just for laughs I pulled the poppits out and put the dip tube one on the other side, the in line. It has the grooves to fit the dip tube, and seems secure. I can try pressure testing it. Just wondered if this is a good idea? I have 2 batches of beer to keg now and I'd like to get both off in one night. Otherwise I found some more kegs locally and plan on getting 2 more anyways. But if I can keep this keg that'd be great!

Edit: Yep, looks like it works just fine! I'm pressure testing it, it's holding for now. I'll leave it over night and see if there's still CO2 in there.

If I'm getting this right, there was a dent impinging on the long dip tube in it's "oem" location, so you swapped the dip tubes side to side. Et voila!

So make sure that you have the gas post atop the short dip tube, and the liquid post atop the long dip tube.
And if this is a ball lock keg, put a sticker or something on the keg pointing to the new gas post location, and you're good to go (if it's a pin lock keg, don't bother)...

Cheers!

[edit] If your kegs have different threads for the posts, you obviously won't be able to swap the posts.
In that case you'll just have to swap the disconnects on their respective tubing whenever you use that keg.
It'll be a bit hinky, and you'll do yourself a favor by tagging everything, but it'll work...

Yeah, so I have the dip tube and all removable parts together, switched to the gas OEM side, and all the gas stuff on the dented, dip tube OEM side. Things seem to fit, just don't want to make a catastrophic error and lose 5 gal of sweet, sweet beer!

Pressure test it empty. Do you have a straight or curved dip tube? If it's curved then it should work from either side. The straight tubes go into a concave area on the bottom of the beer out side.

Pressure test it empty. Do you have a straight or curved dip tube? If it's curved then it should work from either side. The straight tubes go into a concave area on the bottom of the beer out side.

fwiw, I have one of that style keg. The gas dip tube is plastic and the gas riser bore too small to put the long dip tube through it, so this whole thing would be a non-starter for that keg.

Some folks bore out the gas riser and fit standard metal gas dip tubes to them, but this one is original...

Cheers!

It's curved. It doesn't sit in the center of the bottom, just off center, so I might lose a couple ounces of beer.

Looks like it works just fine! It's holding pressure for now, I'll let it sit over night and see if there's still CO2 in there tomorrow morning.

use your spray bottle of star san to look for leaks. bubbles pretty good where co2 is leaking.

Looks like it works just fine! It's holding pressure for now, I'll let it sit over night and see if there's still CO2 in there tomorrow morning.

fwiw, if you shut off the gas feed overnight and this beer hasn't been fully carbonated, you can expect the pressure to drop...

Cheers!

fwiw, if you shut off the gas feed overnight and this beer hasn't been fully carbonated, you can expect the pressure to drop...

Cheers!

Oh, this keg has no beer, it's empty. I just wanted to see if it would hold pressure. My keg with beer is still connected to the gas!

Latest posts

Back