Changing amounts in a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AstralPrimate

Reaction score
So the IPA Recipe I have decided to use calls for 2 lb 2oz of light dry malt extract and 4 lbs 2oz of light liquid malt extract. As of now I have 3.3 lb's of liquid extract and a 3 lb bag dry malt extract. What would be the best way of going about my recipe? 3.3 lb of liquid and 3 lb of dry, or just use the 2 lb of dry that the recipe calls for and leave out the extra pound of liquid? Thanks!

i'd add it all, if it makes a higher abv beer, then you may want to add some more hops to compensate. Do you use any kind of recipe calculator?

Just adding the DME and LME as the recipe calls for in BeerSmith, I get an anticipated OG of 1.048 and swapping the amounts to match what you have, I get an OG of 1.047. That is absolutely negligible in my book. In fact, I would not even say that you'd have to worry about hop additions. Whether you use 2 lbs 2 oz of DME and 4 lbs 2 oz of LME or what you have on hand, you're being asked to use a total of 6 lbs 4 oz of DME and LME combined. You have 6 lbs 3 oz combined. I cannot imagine this is going to make any kind of difference.

I say add it all. I cannot see how the OG would increase or decrease due to the subtraction of liquid for the addition of dry.

I would even keep the same hop schedule, whatever that may be.

While in your case Hello has shown that it doesn't matter, generally use all the LME first, then add DME as needed. LME has a shorter shelf life. Generally recipes have LME weights that match the package size. DME is then added for what would be a partial LME package.

With the amounts he has, he'll be using all of both. DME in the boil first is my go. Do hop additions, then add LME at flame out to keep color lighter & flavor cleaner. But being a full boil, they say to add it all, since it doesn't matter then. I think it should, but I've never been able to do a full boil.

Here is the recipe,
Groom Lake IPA
5 gallons/19 L, extract with grains; OG = 1.056 FG = 1.014; IBU = 51 SRM = 9; ABV = 5.4%

Ingredients:
1.5 lbs. (0.68 kg) US 2-row pale malt
0.5 lb. (0.23 kg) crystal malt (40 °L)
2 lb. 2 oz. (0.96 kg) light dried malt extract
4 lb. 2 oz. (1.9 kg) light liquid malt extract (late addition)
6 AAU Magnum hops (60 mins) (0.43 oz./12 g of 14% alpha acids)
3.5 AAU Simcoe hops (60 mins) (0.27 oz./7.6 g of 13% alpha acids)
7.5 AAU Centennial hops (15 mins) (0.75 oz./14 g of 10% alpha acids)
0.75 oz. (21 g) Cascade hops (5 mins)
1.5 oz. (43 g) Cascade hops (dry hops)
1 tsp. Irish moss (15 mins)
Wyeast 1056 (American Ale), White Labs WLP001 (California Ale) or US05 (formerly US-56 dried) yeast
(1.5 qt./~1.5 L yeast starter)
1.0 cup corn sugar (for priming)

I could go buy more LME if I had to, but Im a little broke thats why I was wondering if I could use what I have and still hit this recipe.
I am using different hops though, Im gonna use just the magnum for bittering, chinook and perle for late additions and dry hopping.

I'd use what you have. I really don't see an issue. I do DME 15-20 minutes before flame out and LME 10-15 minutes before flameout. I do turn heat off before adding LME because it sinks and can scorch.

If you want to be exact, DME equals about 1.25 times more than DME.

So, for 3.3 pounds LME, you'd use an additional 2.75 pounds of the bag of DME.

For all practical purposes, you'd simply use both though, as the others said. It'd be close enough for sure.

Back