Change StarSan in blow-off jar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBJones

Reaction score
The batch in my freezer right now had so much blow-off that the StarSan in the jar is brown. Would it be a good idea to change it, or is there no need?

By the way, the "jar" is a gallon milk jug, with 1-2 quarts of StarSan in it.

Thanks

You'd just be pulling the tube out and then putting it in a fresh batch of Starsan? It wouldn't hurt.
I, too, would like to know what the experienced blow-off tube users say.
I'm not really familiar with blow-off tubes other than pictures posted here. I've never even come close to needing one, maybe because I use dry yeast and the 6.5 gallon bucket with a 5 gallon batch.

I would change it for the next batch, never know what might try to grow above the StarSan line.

I always throw it away after a batch. Was wondering though if its effectiveness for this batch is in question.

I always throw it away after a batch. Was wondering though if its effectiveness for this batch is in question.
If it just happened during this batch, I wouldn't worry to much unless your cold crashing. If cold crashing then I would change it so you don't have to worry about anything getting sucked back into your finished beer.

If your beer blew off into the starsan its most likely too diluted to be an effective sanitizer.

When this happens to me I get a new container full of starsan and a paper towel dampened with starsan. Pull the blowoff tube out of the old container, use the paper towel to wipe down the blowoff tube, and stick the tube into the new container.

If blow-off has stopped, you could put a standard airlock on it. I like the idea of having a clean, sanitized airlock instead of a wiped-down tube. Some might say I'm a fanatic - they'd be right.

I'm not really familiar with blow-off tubes other than pictures posted here. I've never even come close to needing one, maybe because I use dry yeast and the 6.5 gallon bucket with a 5 gallon batch.[/QUOTE]
So he says. Then on his next brew, boom as in shakalaka, guess who’s cleaning up a mess. Don’t ask me how I know. It will happen. I too, use dry yeast. Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the water (ferm chamber) dun, dunt... the great white shark (ok, Brown krausen ) leaps up out of the carboy and bites your arm off!!! You are flailing, screaming for help, slowly he turns around. He bites your other arm off and gives you a huge grin and Buwahahaha!!! You are slowly bleeding out. Your vision is blurring. Oh no what do you smell???? What? Hop, beer??? That’s not blood all over the floor! That’s your beer seeping out your ferm chamber door. Crap. There is a mess.
You can miss this nightmare on Elm st. Or wherever you live. But no it’ll never happen to me, I use dry yeast. Just don’t open that door! Aaaaanh! Just kidding. Some day at a ferm chamber near you. A blow off will happen.
Cheers

Back