Change in Vacation Destination: St. Louis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tspilker

Reaction score
Rather than Vancouver, BC, SWMBO and I are going to St. Louis to visit some friends instead.

What should we be looking for while down there in the way of good microbreweries/brewpubs/beer selection restaurants and stores.

We plan on going to AB again, since this will be the first time I will go on that tour being of legal drinking age, and I plan on being "that guy" regarding questioning the tour guide about the finer points of their process. I remember them just skimming on the surface. Isn't Rolling Rock also based in STL?

We will be going to Fitz's again... White Castle and Popeyes since they dont have those around here, and they rule.

Other than the standard awesomeness in that town (Vess soda, the arch, the city museum, the science center, SLU, the cathedral.... ect) what else can we do.

Thanks!

Hmm, there's a german section of town with some interesting pubs, sorry I can't remember more precisely! Germantown? Its an old section, on a hill, if I remember. I'm sure some St. Louisians will pipe in soon . . .

Its great being "that guy" on the tours, because the tour guide rarely knows the right answer!

AB has the rights to Rolling Rock, but its really from PA, so not a big Rolling Rock town...

If you are all the way down at the brewery, I would highly recommend stopping by "the stable", easily the best real beer bar in st. louis, and it helps that its less than a mile from my place! Its on the corner of Lemp and Cherokee, really close to AB.

I dont know where you are coming from and whether our beer selection is much different than in your state, but we do have several nice beer stores. If you are staying downtown, Randalls on Jefferson, if you are staying out near Clayton, look into the Wine and Cheese Place, and if you are staying out in West County, go by Lukas Liquors... Each place has a nice representation of what MO offers...

If you havent been to Schlafly, its worth stopping by. Their beers are progressively becoming better and better, and they are starting to push the envelope with new styles. Its always nice to have a beer at its birthplace too!

If you are out in Chesterfield at all, the International Tap House in Chesterfield Valley offers something like 400 beers with 40 on tap... Pretty much every beer that is offered in Missouri... They dont serve food, but you can have some delivered there...

If you go to Fitz's in the loop, then stop by Ciceros for a beer...

As Pappers mentioned, we do have a place called "the hill" but this is the Italian area of St. Louis, and I dont really know of any interesting beer bars there. Definitely some good Italian though!

Sorry for all the randomness in my answer!! Hope that this helped some!

Cheers!

+1 on Shlafly, I'd go there before AB.

There is a world class art museum at Forest Park, a killer scuplture park, Laumeier, in south St. Louis Co., and several cool galleries around St. Louis U, if you're into that sorta thing.

Night spots you've gotta hit Laclede's Landing or Soulard, multiple bars and restaurants at either spot. As mentioned above, lotsa good Italian food on the hill.

No trip to St. Louis is complete without trying a crispy, thin crust St Louis style pizza.

If you're going to be out near International Tap House (ITAP), you should also probably check out Sky Zone and Adrenaline Zone, especially if you have a decent size group of people. Sky Zone is the only place outside of Los Vegas to have essentially bowl shaped arenas made from trampolines. Adrenaline Zone has something called Demolition ball or Whirly Ball.

If you're going to mention ITAP you might as well mention Growlers. They also have a very large beer selection and a card which you try to fill so that you can get a free stein. You need to taste all their beers though...usually over the course of a year or two.

If you're going to be down town, might as well check out Lumier Place too.

If you want Chicago style pizza, I have to recommend BlackThorne Pub. A little hole in the wall place, but good pizza and environment. Decent selection of beers

Why would you want chicago style pizza when you are in the lou? Go to Imo's and get a good STL style pizza.

While you are in STL get some catfish and BBQ. Pretty much everything in forest park is free, science, art, zoo history, soccer, etc.

And don't forget it is probably going to be hot.

Imo's is so good. My mouth just started watering. We are staying with a friend in Chesterfield. So how many of these beer establishments are family friendly. Some of the people with us will be under 21 and it would be crappy to have to separate so I can go get hammered. lol

I will be linking this thread to Kara for sure. Thanks for the tips!

I remembered while I was at work, the Shaw Botanical Gardens. Awesome gardens, geodesic (sp?) dome with tropical plants, japanese and chinese gardens, home gardens with 6'x6' plots of different grasses so you can take off your shoes and see which you like the best. Awesome place.

mcgurk's (an irish pub) has a lovely outdoor garden area. i wouldn't say the selection is anything out of the ordinary, but if they have live music, then it can be nice to sit out by the waterfall and take it in.

check out the city coffeehouse in clayton for terrific crepes/brunch.

Back