Champagne yeast for sour bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChadChaney

Reaction score
A few questions about using WL Champagne yeast as a possible secondary yeast at bottling for my sours. First off, has anyone used this before for this purpose, and if so, did you have decent results? I have never bottled a sour before, these are my first sours from last year that I want to bottle and condition. The yeasts used in primary were; Roselere, WL Belgian Sour blend and ECY Bug Country. These were all the primary strains used for fermentation but some dregs were added along the way. No standard ale yeast was pitched at all. I have a TON of WL Champagne yeast from a LHBS owner who was sitting on a bunch of expired yeast. It has been stored in a cooler since the day it came in the mail to him. Can I use this for this purpose with good results, or should I just use some dry yeast instead? One last question, since the yeast has been sitting awhile, should I made a starter for it like normal? Thanks for the sour noob help!

I can't speak to WY champagne yeast, but I used some cheap dry champagne yeast the last time I bottled a sour and it worked like a champ. I'll be doing the same in the next few weeks with my next sour.

Back