Champagne SuperGose -- 21 Days G2G

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

specharka

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1007
Yeast Starter
None
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
1L Troublesome
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
5 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 Days @ 64F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 Days @ 70F
Tasting Notes
Bright, tart, effervescent. Balanced nose and subtle semi-dry finish.
I am re-posting this recipe from the following thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=556416

Champagne SuperGose

75% Brewhouse Efficiency

4 lb Pilsner malt
3 lb White wheat malt
1 lb Flaked wheat
0.5 lb Rolled oats
0.5 lb Rice hulls (separate)
1.0 lb Acidulated malt (separate)

0.5 oz Northern Brewer (8% AAU) - 30 min
0.25 oz Sea salt - 10 min
0.25 oz Coriander, crushed - 10 min

Directions
Reserve 0.5 lb of fermentable grains and store in sanitized muslin bag. Mash in remaining grains (except acidulated malt) at 1.25 qt/lb for 60 minutes at 150F. After saccharification is complete, add 0.5-1.0 lb acidulated malt to target a mash pH of 4.5. Mash out at 168F. Sparge with 185F water. Collect 6 gal wort in sanitized kettle. Allow wort to freefall to 120F.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1450556722.947391.jpg

Place reserved grain bag in wort. Purge kettle of all oxygen by pushing CO2 through the wort. Attach ferm heater and maintain temperature between 110-120F for 24-72 hours. Check the wort pH every 12 hours to make sure you don't exceed your souring threshold.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1450556749.744483.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1450556760.717472.jpg

When wort has achieved desired tartness (pH ~ 3.5), boil for 30 minutes, per the above boil schedule. Chill to 64F and pitch WY1007 starter (I used a Troublesome dreg starter in lieu of WY1007). Ferment in primary for 1 week at 64F and bottle or keg to medium-high carbonation (2.7 vols).

Results

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1450556689.900281.jpg

Solid recipe and procedures! I brew my Berlinerweiss in this manner and it results in a very nice souring with no off-flavors. I also use oats, in an attempt to improve head retention.

Why the wheat malt and flaked wheat?

With only 0.25 oz of salt and coriander for 6 gallons, do you feel like it was enough? A lot of the Gose recipes I've read recommend about 0.5 oz per 5 gallons.

Man, I really want to do this style (mostly, my wife and I want some sours on hand, but don't want to wait so long to make one), but I have no pH meter.

I wonder if I could just save the acid malt like that and use the Bru'n water spreadsheet to get close enough?
Also, I wonder if I could just go by the amount of sour that we prefer instead of the pH reading?

Are you taking the OG measurement after the boil? How do you plan the brew if you're wanting it to be a certain amount of alcohol after the fermentation? Just from trial and error?

Man, I really want to do this style (mostly, my wife and I want some sours on hand, but don't want to wait so long to make one), but I have no pH meter.

I wonder if I could just save the acid malt like that and use the Bru'n water spreadsheet to get close enough?
Also, I wonder if I could just go by the amount of sour that we prefer instead of the pH reading?

Are you taking the OG measurement after the boil? How do you plan the brew if you're wanting it to be a certain amount of alcohol after the fermentation? Just from trial and error?

Buy some pH strips, much cheaper and you can find lab grade ones for lots of ranges.

Unfortunately, I'm one of those guys that doesn't go for that phrase. But to each his/her own.

Sure, but one could say that calculated mash pH values work "well enough" as well. Calculated mash pH values are by no means an exact representation of the actual mash pH because of variability in malt quality and the mashing process.

Sounds like you should be using a calibrated pH meter to get to your desired level of precision.

I apologize getting back to you guys so late, I've been a bit preoccupied lately.

Wheat malt and flaked wheat were used for increased head retention and a subtle grainy flavor. Salt and coriander were limited to keep to the theme -- Off Color Brewing's Troublesome is a rather mild example of a gose that's better situated for repeat consumption. Don't mistake this beer for a sipper...it is best enjoyed fresh.

OG was predicted at 1.040, landed at 1.042. FG was spot on around 1.007. Makes it approximately 4.5% ABV.

I'm actually brewing a redux version of this beer without kettle souring soon (using WY3191). Might increase the use of salt and coriander a touch but everything else will stay the same.

Great name! Am I really the first to say that? Looks like a solid recipe and procedure, maybe a little less on the sour and salt side for me but that's the beauty of brewing.

Back