Champagne bottles 29mm crown caps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danlad

Reaction score
OK so I feel like a deviant for even considering something neither a keg nor brown glass...but indulge me.

I just bottled my first AG in champers bottles (well, cava...we're not that posh) cos it's been Hogmanay and a friend's house warming so there were plenty of appropriate empties to hand. While I was successful and the caps appear tight, it was clear the capper was straining a bit. So I take a look, and the bottle neck grip is double sided with 26mm and 29mm stamped on each side, but it is kept in place with a bit of the plastic moulding. Presumably there is a scam somewhere to sell a different version to both beer and sparkling wine lovers and woe betide you if you are both ;).

Has anyone sussed how to (none too destructively) make these dual purpose? It's one of the common or garden red Emily hand cappers.

Cheers,

Dan

In addition to flipping the plates around, you need a 29mm capping bell.
champagne-adapter.jpg

Or champagne from the USA.;)

Its not a scam they are made to switch around. The champagne bottles i have need the 29mm plate but use a 26mm cap like a beer bottle. My capper came with instructions on how to change the plate.

Its not a scam they are made to switch around. The champagne bottles i have need the 29mm plate but use a 26mm cap like a beer bottle. My capper came with instructions on how to change the plate.

Or get a bench capper. :)

French champagne bottles use a 29mm cap an require a different capping bell that can be replaced. American sparkling wine bottles (sometimes labeled champagne) usually use 26mm caps like beer bottles. However I have found the necks are wider than will fit in the standard twin lever capper opening. If you have a capper with both markings then you should be able to pull out the metal plates reverse them and put them back in for the wider size. I got a bench capper to handle the aluminum bottles and that doesn't have any problem with the champagne bottles.

BTW many Belgian beers come in champagne bottles including Rodenbach, Cantilion and other mostly high end beers. Bottling in champagne bottles is perfectly acceptable.

Craig

Its easy. Use a flat head screwdriver to push the plates out of each side and just turn them around and shove them back in. I've been bottling with champagne bottles for a while now and generally throw in a few 12 ozs for sampling and to check progress on bottle conditioning. I'm swapping the plates back and forth a bunch.

Its easy. Use a flat head screwdriver to push the plates out of each side and just turn them around and shove them back in. I've been bottling with champagne bottles for a while now and generally throw in a few 12 ozs for sampling and to check progress on bottle conditioning. I'm swapping the plates back and forth a bunch.

Do you know what the name of the wing capper you're using is? Does anyone know if the red "Emily" capper will work with champagne bottles (if you get the 29mm bell)?

Cheers all,

Aye, I've got the 29mm bell (matron) but the grip was a touch tight (fnar).

Gordie - do the plates maintain their grip after repeated swaps? Do you absolutely have to swap them to get proper sealing, or will the 29mm setting do for 26mm beer bottles too?

Sorry, I'm an idiot. The plates just slide out. Somehow I thought they must be permanently attached...

Right, on with the next batch.

Hey there. Yup, and "Emily" capper. You should really swap them back and forth. The 29mm won't seat a 26mm cap tightly enough. They basically stay put, even with a bunch of swapping. I actually thought about filing down the little nub that provides resistance but I've worked it down pretty well.

Hey there. Yup, and "Emily" capper. You should really swap them back and forth. The 29mm won't seat a 26mm cap tightly enough. They basically stay put, even with a bunch of swapping. I actually thought about filing down the little nub that provides resistance but I've worked it down pretty well.

Nice one, cheers for the help.

Latest posts

Back