Champagne bottle bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CopperHillBrewery

Reaction score
So I brewed an Orval clone with mash temp 152 and initial gravity 1.059. Fermented in primary for a week with a free rise from 57 F to 72 F, then transferred to secondary, added two bottles of Orval dregs and let it sit for three weeks at 59 F. The final gravity was 1.008.

I did a few things wrong afterwards. I botched the priming sugar addition and added 10 oz of sucrose. I also didn't account for trub loss. I was expecting 6 or so gallons to bottle, but had lots of loss from sediment and dry hopping, so only ended up bottling 5 gallons. I bottled in Brut champagne bottles and normally wouldn't be concerned, as 10 oz in 5 gallons ~ 4.5 volumes of CO2. However, there's Brett in there and I'm afraid it would chew the beer down to 1.000 adding another possible 4 volumes.

I read in http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/AdvancedBottleConditioning.pdf that champagne is typically pressured at 7 volumes. I also read somewhere in this forum that champagne bottles could handle up to 12 volumes.

Any thoughts?

Update...I opened one of the bottles over the weekend and it's already quite carbonated. I'm thinking somewhere between 2.5 and 3 volumes of CO2 with only one week of carbonation. I am leaning towards waiting another two weeks and then just throwing the lot into a fridge. It's pretty damn good...close to Orval. However, I would like to taste the evolution of the beer that Orval is famous for. If anyone has any guidance on the likelihood of Brett B. consuming all the remaining gravity points in this situation or carbing Champagne bottles to over 7 volumes, please chime in.

If it's already good beer, then I would just put most of them in the fridge. Keep them there for a month or so and then try opening one that you didn't refrigerate. If it's still good then you can take the rest out of the fridge and they will mostly pick up where they left off in terms of maturing.

I wouldn't worry that much about bombs; I am more worried that with so much CO2 it will be impossible to pour them. It's better to have good beer than foam if you ask me. So test a few of them out over the next several weeks and see if they turn into foam bombs. If they do, you only lost a couple of them; if they don't then you can let them all age the way you want.

Thanks for the reply. This was the beer after just two weeks of conditioning. Looks like the rest are going into the fridge.

lwjq.jpg

Give it another couple weeks. When I did my orval inspired beer I primed to 3 vol. Then I added orval bottle yeast two days before bottling with the gravity at 1.009 when I bottled. Its been 18 months now and the last time I checked the beer was only at 1.005. So I doubt you will make it to 1.000. Plus beers are much former early on compared to 5 weeks or later. Plus you need to afford the bottle ample time to chill and so forth.

Latest posts

Back