Chamomile ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

cpz28

Reaction score
I have the ingredients all ready to go for saision (5 gallons OG 68ish). I was planning on adding a bit of orange peel and some coriander. Additionally, I have chamomile I'd like to add. I've never used it before and don't know how much to use in order for it to not be overwhelming. The stuff doesn't really weigh anything so maybe what looks like a lot isn't all that much? So how much should I go with (going to throw in at the end of the boil)? Thanks in advance guys.

ArcaneXor

Reaction score
I have the ingredients all ready to go for saision (5 gallons OG 68ish). I was planning on adding a bit of orange peel and some coriander. Additionally, I have chamomile I'd like to add. I've never used it before and don't know how much to use in order for it to not be overwhelming. The stuff doesn't really weigh anything so maybe what looks like a lot isn't all that much? So how much should I go with (going to throw in at the end of the boil)? Thanks in advance guys.
I used one teabag of Celestial Seasonings Chamomile tea in my Witbier (at the end of the boil, I believe, and letting it steep for about 10 minutes before pulling it out).

michaelcalvin

Reaction score
I am thinking about brewing a saison with chamomile as the spice, so I am curious how yours turned out, how much chamomile you used, and how noticible it was. I would like mine to be light, but definently noticible. What kid of contribution does one teabag give?

flyangler18

Reaction score
Some may disagree with me, but I find that using chamomile in a Wit is patently unnecessary if you are using the bitter orange peel which, in addition to rounding out the bitterness, lends a soft herbal note while the citrus notes comes from the coriander.

Some comments,
Jason

sundaybrewingco

Reaction score
I just made a Honey Wheat that used 2 oz. of fresh Chamomile buds. I thought it was maybe a bit much. If I made it again, I would prob knock it down to 1 oz. Awesome beer, but a little sweet for my tastes (could also been from the 1 lb. of wild flower honey)

newtomd

Reaction score
Any ideas on where I can buy whole chamomile flowers. I need 2oz. of them for a Wildflower Wheat recipe.

Professor Frink

Reaction score
For my black witbier I picked up some chamomile tea from Whole Foods. Most chamomile teas are just the flowers.

r2eng

Reaction score
I wish you well.. my wife chamomile tea just about makes me hurl :(

I like the other spices/herbs, though!

DubbelDach

Reaction score
Just used 2 oz of Celestial Seasonings in my wit... Not tapped yet, so will try to chime in here when I do.

CW from top left: Indian coriander, one organic sweet orange peel and one organic grapefruit peel, and the chamomile.

Professor Frink

Reaction score
Just used 2 oz of Celestial Seasonings in my wit... Not tapped yet, so will try to chime in here when I do.

CW from top left: Indian coriander, one organic sweet orange peel and one organic grapefruit peel, and the chamomile.

You sure you're not supposed to zest that peel?

DubbelDach

Reaction score
1) It's just the zest... Used a potato peeler. Just got the outer layer and left the thick, bitter, white part behind. Never had any problems imparting flavor this way.

2) That's Celestial Seasonings Chamomile Tea, cut out of the bags. Only ingredients are Egyptian and Mexican chamomile. Guess they finely chop it?