Chamomile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kozwald

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a recipe that calls for 2 oz of chamomile for the last 2 minutes of the boil. My question is do I use a hops bag or put it directly into the wort?

Your choice, either way will work. It really comes down to how you transfer and whether or not the tea debris will plug up your system.

Thanks for the input. I think for this batch I'll use a hops bag just to keep the chamomile out of the fermentor.

Thanks again

I'm glad I used the hops bag and only left the chamomile in for a few minutes. I sampled the beer when I moved it from primary to secondary and holy cow!!!! The chamomile was way over powering. I hope it mellows out after it sits for awhile.

Made my last wit with chamomile as well as standard orange peel and coriander. It was awesome. However, I remember only using like 2-4 grams of it as it can be overpowering. I will take a look a recipe but, yeah, I remember using that little. 2 oz is probably like 1 1/2 cups!!!

Hope you like chamomile. I make a chamomile IPA every year that calls for 2oz. It verges on too much but, goes over very well with everyone. If you have some malt back it should be fine.

chamolie IPA sounds like a good sleepy beer. Seeing as though hops and chamolime have historically been used as sleep aids.

chamolie IPA sounds like a good sleepy beer. Seeing as though hops and chamolime have historically been used as sleep aids.

Haha. Yeah, I call it Sleepy Time IPA. It definitely puts you in a good place. 2 in the sun and your done/ you want a nap. I warn everyone before they try it. Problem is they don't care. :p

Haha. Yeah, I call it Sleepy Time IPA. It definitely puts you in a good place. 2 in the sun and your done/ you want a nap. I warn everyone before they try it. Problem is they don't care. :p

Is it the GF recipe?

That is correct. Well, a version of that recipe anyway. I think that recipe might have had malted quinoa in it and I can't really get my hands on that anymore. I've had multiple people ask for the recipe to recreate it. A gluten-y version would be mostly the same but, the malts would vary a bit. Maybe some honey malt thrown in.

Yeah chamomile can be very strong. I did a honey/chamomile wheat but used flavored tea bags. Only 16 little standard tea bags had a very strong presence. It did mellow out after a month though. Hopefully yours will

Latest posts

Back