Challenge: roast flavor without the color

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heywolfie1015

Reaction score
So, I'm working on an experimental brew and want to try to get some roast flavor without darkening the beer. Any ideas on how I could accomplish this?

I've only ever added it to a stout, but you might try "dry-hopping" with some coarsely ground coffee beans...I have no idea how much color it will give the beer since I did it with a stout, but it will definitely give you roast flavor and aroma.

Thanks. Interesting idea, that. My goal is to have as light a beer as possible, but with flavors reminiscent of a nut brown. I think I'm getting there, but the hint of roast is what has me stumped. In the end, it won't be a nut brown, but it will be a fun experiment. My grist and planned flavor additions should throw the drinker for a loop.

I'm sure that if you added a bottle of coffee extract it wouldn't darken your beer too much and would add a roasty flavor.

Back