Chai Milk Stout Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zsprowls

Reaction score
Hi fellow brewers,

I am going to make a Chai milk stout and I wanted to get some ideas from you folks. I am going to use my trusty stout recipe with a few tweaks.

First things first - I want to try to cold steep some of (or maybe even all of) the grains.
Second - I want to add lactose
Third - I want to add Chai (and maybe cinnamon)

Recipe idea:

Grains:
-1 lb Chocolate Male
-1 lb Midnight Wheat
-1/2 lb roasted barley
8 lbs Muntons Plain Light DME
60 min hop - Northern Brewer
15 min - 1 lb lactose
Flameout - tablespoon of cinnamon (or maybe just go with a spiced Chai?)

I was thinking something like:

Cold Steep the chocolate malt and midnight wheat for 24 hours (yes I really want this to be dark and then toss the lactose in... maybe that is a bad idea or waste of time)

Steep the roasted barley like normal (or maybe even cold steep)

Poor the grain tea from the cold steep in the brew kettle and top off to 3 gallons (I don't have a big enough pot for a full boil) and then just have a normal brew from there.

For the Chai - I was thinking about actually just experimenting with 1/2 of the batch. I would do half as just a normal old milk stout (possibly with the cinnamon) and then for the other half I was thinking about bottling with a bag of chai tea in the bottle. I would just put it in and cap right over it (got that idea from somebody on here but didn't read far enough to see how it turned out). I think that may have some sanitation issues (but this beer will have a relatively high ABV) and it may lead to a chai flavor that is overly powerful (but there are a lot of grains and lactose in this beer so that may not be so bad).

Let me know if you guys and gals have any opinions on this. I know it is probably better to make a real strong Chai and add it to secondary, but I think the tea bag in a bottle idea is kinda cool! Also, if you can weigh in on what grains to cold steep and which I should just steep like normal that would be great as well!

Thanks!

Also. Would there be a better stout base to work with? This is the stout I brew when I do additives like cinnamon and Bourbon and such. But maybe for something like tea I would be better with a different recipe.

Back