CFC wort out temp reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arkador

Reaction score
So, I have seen the Thrumometer ($30)
ThruMometer.JPG

but was curious if anyone has come up with a cheaper way to measure the temprature of the wart discharge end of a CFC. Right now I am concidering just sticking a sanitized probe thermometer in the wort flow.

Mabye even make a tiny hole in the silicon tube so i can stick the probe in along the flow a few inches from the discharge (low pressure should keep it from leaking there)

I used a bunch of stainless parts to thread a dial thermometer in but it's not going to be less than $30. I think a hole in the tubing for a digital probe is a fine cheap solution. I don't like the thrumomter because the temp range is really narrow.

I just use a sanitized probe thermometer in the fermenter. After a minute or so, there's enough wort to know if I need to open/close the kettle or garden hose.

Just keep in mind that if your output is below or above the range of the LCD, you won't know which that is and it will be difficult to know whether to throttle the coolant faster or slower.

Great idea! Looks like Blichmann is doing the same thing with Aluminum instead of Copper.

I wish I could claim it was my idea. Was written up in BYO a couple years ago. You will want to shop around for one of the appropriate range (cooler in the fish tank section, warmer in the reptile tank section). Also, I suspect that some of these respond faster than others.

Just keep in mind that if your output is below or above the range of the LCD, you won't know which that is and it will be difficult to know whether to throttle the coolant faster or slower.

If you touch it with your hand you can probable tell the difference between "above 100º" and "below 70º".

I use my Fluke Meter with Temperature probe Wire. I push it down the neck of the carboy and push it up into the output tube about 2-3 inches to keep it secure. Works really well.

I know I don't prefer sticking my hands into my wort post boil.......especially after it's slightly chilled.

I believe he's referring to the short piece of aluminum/copper pipe, not the wort.

But, personally, I prefer to lick the wort as it streams into the bucket. Your tongue is a very sensitive temperature measurement device. :D

I believe he's referring to the short piece of aluminum/copper pipe, not the wort.

But, personally, I prefer to lick the wort as it streams into the bucket. Your tongue is a very sensitive temperature measurement device. :D

Yes indeed. Stirring the wort with you hand may lead to infections. ;)

Alternatively you could lick the copper pipe. preferable in the dead of winter prior to use to calibrate your tongue. :D

The thrumometer works great. I love mine. If the temp isn't registering on the strip, you can easily tell if it's too hot or too cold w/ a touch of your hand.

I think the copper tube w/ stick-on is a great cheap substitute. I really like the fitting for a probe thermo, and I might have gone that route if I didn't have the thrumometer.

Piece of copper tubing with an adhesive thermometer stuck on the outside. Exo Terra : Products : LCD Thermometer

That LCD range is 69 to 105 degrees F, go to your local pet store and get a aquarium stick on LCD, they have a range of 64 to 90 degrees F. local, cheap plus read lower, as posted above stay below the minimum temp or just at the start of the strip.

I think i will just poke a small hole in the last 2 inches of the silicon tubing and stick a probe thermometer in there for now, and look into getting a piece of copper tube to add a stickon thermometer to to mimic the thrumometer.

Back