Quantcast

CFC pump connection

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

ddknight

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I just completed my DIY CFC last night and for some reason am having a hard time picturing or drawing out the connections that I'll need to pump the wort through the CFC and then into the fermenter.

The copper tubing is 3/8" so I will need a hose to connect to there but the pump outlet is 1/2" so how is that going to fit on? I figured I could easily have a 1/2" barb or QD coming out of the BK and connecting to the inlet portion of the pump which is also 1/2" but I'm getting confused on the hookups from there.

This makes me feel really stupid and I'm not sure what I'm missing. Thanks for the help -D

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
You can do a few things but the easiest would be to terminate the input of the CFC with a 3/8" compression to 1/2" female NPT. From there you thread in a male quick disconnect. Then you put a female QD on the hose coming from you pump.

The benefit of this setup is that you don't have to have the CFC inline with the pump all the time.

I used these QDs from Mcmaster.com

Disconnects:
Nipple with 1/2" MPT 6739K59
Female straight with 1/2" hose barb 6739K64
..same with an elbow (which I got) 6739K68

more info here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=44004

OP
D

ddknight

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I figured it was something like that. I have all QD's for the system other than for the CFC b/c it wasn't 1/2". Is the 3/8" compression to 1/2" female NPT something that needs soldered on or I guess how does it fit onto the copper tubing?

I had read your post about the QD's that you got the other day and think that I'm going to get some as well. Right now I have all QD's made from the tough plastic that I think I got from Northern Brewer.