CF Chiller Observation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Reaction score
I just switched from an immersion chiller to a cf chiller.... brewed my first batch with it on sunday (Bells Oberon Clone).... I barely had the water running through the hose and it chilled the exiting wort to 60 degrees..... the chiller is about 25 ft in length..... I have never had to warm the wort backup in order to pitch the yeast in....*L* Next batch I will try to lower the flow rate more and see what happens.... I think I might put an inline thermometer in to monitor the temp better.....I knew the cf chillers work well but I wasnt expecting it to work quite that well...

Just an observation.....

carnevoodoo

Reaction score
You can totally pitch at 60 degrees. I would have not bothered warming it back up at all. But that's pretty exciting.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
You can totally pitch at 60 degrees. I would have not bothered warming it back up at all. But that's pretty exciting.
The first time I used my CFC I found I had to cut the water flow down by half to get it near 65. About the same size, 25 ft. I don't think I'd heat my wort back up to pitch yeast. I'd just pitch it and put the blow-off tube on it.

OP
backdeckbrewery
Reaction score
we keep our house at 60 most of the day and during the night..... I wanted to make sure it started fermenting as soon as possible so I stuck it in the sink with some warm water for an hour or so..... I am sure it didnt raise the temp all that much but by the afternoon it was bubbling like crazy so either way I am at ease now....