Cereal Mashing and Step Mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagle23

Reaction score
I am wanting to do a White IPA in the next month or so using about 50% un-malted wheat. I know I would need to do a cereal mash on the wheat which would involve boiling the wheat to geletanize it. Afterwards I am wanting to do a step mash just on the wheat and take it through the beta-glucan and protein rests before adding in the rest of the malt for the conversion rest.

I have read few how to's here on homebrewtalk and BYO which say adding about 10% 2-row or 6-row to aid in the conversion prior to the boiling in the cereal mash, but also resting the cereal mash at a few different temps for different reasons.

My idea for the process is to take just the unmalted wheat and do the cereal mash. Then add an amount of colder water to bring it down to the temperature and add the 10% malt for the beta-glucan rest. Then add more boiling water to do the next steps. When It comes time for the conversion rest at 149, i want to add the malt and more boiling water to bring it up to temp. Then proceed as normal.

My questions are:

1) Is there a calculation for how much colder water i would need to bring the temperature down from boiling?

2) When the time comes to add the malt, Some of the grains will be at boiling temp while the other ones will be at room temp, is there a calculation that takes into account when mixing everything together to still hit the correct temperature.

Thanks in advance.

Back