Cereal Killer Mill Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bricks41

Reaction score
I just tried to use my mill for the first time. I had it set to about .35 but when I had the drill running, the mill was not pulling any grain through. It wasn't until I increased the gap to around the .53 mark, on the mill itself, would it start chewing grain.

Thoughts?

What speed are you using you drill at. I think for small homebrew mills you really want to get it down to 200 rpm. I am stuck usings a 600 rpm drill with my DIY mill (the knurl is not a knarly as the off the self mills), and I need to "start" it by turning the drill's chuck and free roller together untill some grain gets drawn into the gap, then I can start the drill and it will continue to draw malt through until the hopper is empty. I think my issue is due to the smother rollers and speed of the drill and the grain just "slids" over the rollers rather than "sticking" and getting pulled in.

Don't know exactly the speed but I've gone slow, wide open and everything in-between. I'll mess with it later in the week but will be crushing 24 lbs for Saturday, so I would prefer to figure it out sooner lol. Did eventually get 1.5 lbs done in short order once it started grabbing grain.

Back