Cereal In The Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLBred82

Reaction score
I have a porter right now in my primary and am moving over to my secondary this weekend. I wanted to put some cereal in there to add a unique flavor and smell. Has anyone tried this before?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It's normally done in the mash to promote clarity. It sounds like it would turn into a mushy mess in the secondary. Feel free to try it and share some pictures if you do though.

What kind of cereal are we talking about? Like, cereal grains or Fruity Pebbles? If you're talking about grains, I'd assume you'd be guaranteed to infect your beer, as grains are positively crawling with bacteria (which is one of the big reasons we boil the wort).

I wouldn't do it, toss the cereal in the mash so you can boil out germs/bacteria and avoid potentially ruining your beer.

You should have done it in the mash or in the boil. The heat would have extracted flavor, and then the boil would have sterilized the wort. It's a pretty common technique in Iron Brewer comps.

I've done gingershap cookies that way for a brown ale.

You could do an extraction of the cereal by putting some in a jar of vodka for a couple days, then using a sanitized strainer/coffee filter combination strain out the solids and add the flavored vodka to the secondary, or the bottling bucket or keg at packaging time.

But honestly doing any sort of extractions like that work best with some heat to bring the flavor into the liquid medium you're extracting into.

Thanks all for the response. Revvy, how much ginger snaps were used for what amount? That sounds good!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back