Central NJ Malt Group Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
The group buy is definitely a GO but the PALLET is now FULL so orders are closed.. There might be a slot here or there if the folks who need to pay in advance don't come through.

The shipping would be to Piscataway and you'd pick up your share from there. Of course, I encourage you to post your interest here and make sure your location is evident so distribution can be coordinated if a few people are from similar neighborhoods.

The WHALES homebrew club is also buying quite a few sacks so figure on about $6 per sack for shipping.

The source is Northcountrymalt.com and they carry Bairds, Best Maltz, Thomas and Fawcett, etc.

PAYMENT
If you're a long time supporting member here, I'll take your word that you'll pick up and pay what you said you'll pick up. Pay cash in person. If you're not, I'll take payment in advance via check or paypal.

I will place the order next Friday or Monday 8/10/08 the latest and will take shipment as soon as they can arrange it.

So far:
Bobby_M 3 sacks (2 MO, Pilsner)
AnoldUR 2 sacks MO, 20lb specialty, 1 sack BM Wheat to split with BKOV.
BKOV 2 sacks MO, 1/2 sack of wheat split with AnoldUR, 20# specialty.
Wilserbrewer 2 sacks (Canada 2-row, MO) + 20 pounds specialty - PM'd me info already.
Flyangler 2 sacks (Canada 2-row, MO) , + 25 pounds specialty.
Rommelmagic 2 sacks (Canada 2-row, MO) + 10lb each vienna and munich, 5lb wheat
MrNate 2 sack TF MO, 1 sack Can Pilsen (any problem with Best Maltz German Pils?) + 5lb Munich if left.
Southandros 1 Pils Franco-Belge #HF101, 1 Munich, Best # B201, 2 Pils, BestMaltz, B101, 2 sacks Canada Malting #2060

WHALES club 11 sacks mixed.

Community split: 5 sacks (20L, 40L, Vienna, Munich, Pale Wheat) $5/5lb.

Here's the price list..find the malt you want, multiply the 1000# price by 55 to get the sack price, then add $6 per sack to cover shipping to my house. http://www.countrymaltgroup.com/pdf/NC_SalesBook.pdf

Pickup Locations
Primary is my house in Piscataway NJ which is very accessible from RT 18, RT 287, and the TNPK.
AnoldUR offered to deliver your malt down "near" Philly (Seargentsville) and Wilserbrew can get it down to souther Monmouth County. I can get your malt up into Paramus, NJ which is basically the northern tip.

I'm not profitting from this deal at all in case you were wondering.

Im interested but not 100% positive yet. Its about a 45-60minute drive each way. I'll post a definate answer over the weekend and if so, what i want.

This thread is going to start out as a "feeler" to see what the interest level is for a malt group buy. The shipping would be to Piscataway and you'd pick up your share from there. Of course, I encourage you to post your interest here and make sure your location is evident so distribution can be coordinated if a few people are from similar neighborhoods.

I also have a feeler post out to my homebrewclub (The WHALES). While a pallet can hold 42 sacks, the cost effective threshold is at about 20 sacks. I think that's reasonable.

The source is Northcountrymalt.com and they carry Bairds, Best Maltz, Thomas and Fawcett, etc.

If we get 20+ sacks, the per sack price on Baird's Maris Otter for example, is $45 shipped. At 40 sacks, it's $42 each. (note that Brewer's Apprentice and Keystone Homebrew are getting about $65-68 for the same malt).

If you're a long time supporting member here, I'll take your word that you'll pick up and pay what you said you'll pick up. If you're not, I'll take payment in advance.

Since the project is still up in the air, I can't give you an exact date of when it would go down, but I'm targeting for a late August ship date.

Thoughts? How many sacks of what kinds of malt?
Bobby,

I did a group buy like you are proposing back in April and it's a great way to get grain in bulk. I got 41 sacks on a pallet and the price is the same for shipping if it's 20 or 42 sacks of grain. The most cost effective way is to try and get full pallets.

Count me in for one sack of the Baird's Maris Otter.

Edit: Make that two. (Just thinking about how fast that last sack went!)

Of course, I encourage you to post your interest here and make sure your location is evident so distribution can be coordinated if a few people are from similar neighborhoods.
I’m definitely in on this, and am located roughly half way between Philly and Easton, across the river in NJ. If any of you PA guys are interested, I would be willing to bring your grain this far for you. Work your payment out with Bobby and you can pick-up here.

I'm in for two sacks, maybe three (2 row...MO it's all good). Are you thinking of splitting any specialty grains?

Thanks for taking this on Bobby, I've been on the lookout for an opportunity like this. I propose a free sack for Bobby for taking on this task!

PS I'm in Southern Monmouth county (Wall) and would be willing to haul an additional 4-5 sacks in that direction.

I plan on adding a sack of crystal 20, 40, Vienna and Munich (light) and breaking it into 5lb shares at $5. I think there are very few others that you'd really use enough of to make it worth it.

"If we get 20+ sacks, the per sack price on Baird's Maris Otter for example, is $45 shipped. At 40 sacks, it's $42 each. (note that Brewer's Apprentice and Keystone Homebrew are getting about $65-68 for the same malt)."

to get the cheapest possible prices, do the sacks all have to be the same or can they be mixed? For example, lets say we got a total of 11 sacks for bairds maris otter, and 11 sacks for wheat. Would the maris otter still be $45 shipped?

The per sack price goes down as the number of total sacks goes up because the shipping cost is fixed at $132. If we only got 20 sacks for example, it's $132/20 or about $7 shipping on top of each sack.

is it cool if i post this at a couple of brewing forums also to see if theres more interest?

I plan on adding a sack of crystal 20, 40, Vienna and Munich (light) and breaking it into 5lb shares at $5. I think there are very few others that you'd really use enough of to make it worth it.
If these aren't spoken for, I'll take a 5lb bag of each.

How about Wheat? Is there any interest in splitting up a bag of that?

I can probably spare a few 5lb bags out of my full sack because I don't use that much wheat.

Other forums? you mean brewboard? I don't mind if you post my intentions, the more the merrier but they'll all be pay-in-advance. As long as folks are comfortable with that, I'm game.

I'm in for a sack of MO and 5# each of your community split.

AnOldUR, we'll have to arrange a pick-up.

You might want to see if/when Warrior is planning his next group buy since he is right 'round your neck of the woods.

Bobby,
Depending on when you anticipate the arrival, I would potentially be down for picking up a sack of MO or such via AnOldUR.

You might want to see if/when Warrior is planning his next group buy since he is right 'round your neck of the woods.

Good call, although I play rugby so that takes me into Philly, Reading and beyond somewhat regularly so we could do the 'two birds, one stone' bit.

Ok, for anyone on the fence or generally lazy in responding, I'm going to close the orders Next Thursday August 7th and the order will be placed the following day. For those of you who are not supporting members PM me with your full name, address and I'll respond back with payment info. You can send me a personal check if you want (do I have to mention how angry I'll be if it bounces?) or you can use paypal. Take your desired grain's price, add $6 per sack for shipping and one more dollar to cover my paypal transaction fee. If we get more sacks which will lower the shipping price, I will refund the difference via paypal (but not by check). I MUST receive payment by Thursday.

If you're a supporting member (most of you are), I'll take your word that you'll make good on the pickup and payment because I don't have any reason to suspect anyone of *****ebagery. The first post in this thread is my official tally so far. If you're not on it and want to be, post here before Thursday.

Hey Bobby, I'd like to get in on this if I could. And you say you could meet or whatever in Paramus? That would be great if you could.
I'd like to get a sack of Hugh Baird Maris Otter $39.09 (whole) and a sack of Canada Malting 2 Row Pale Ale $35.89 (whole) and 10 #s each of the Vienna & Munich if possible.
Total 94.98 + 6 per sack + 1 for paypal = $107.98. Just let me know you paypal info and I'll send payment.
Thanks!!

I'm going to modify my order- add in a sack of Can Malt 2-row.

So for me:

1 sack CanMalt 2-row
1 sack MO
5# each community split

Oooh, almost forgot.
Any extra wheat? If so I'd like to add 5# to my order above
Let me know, thx

Count me in for 2 bags of uncrushed MO.
Also if possible, 5pounds each of the community split except wheat.

Also, if anyone wants to split a 55lb bag of wheat 50/50 (so about 27 pounds each), i'll do that also.

Also, if anyone wants to split a 55lb bag of wheat 50/50 (so about 27 pounds each), i'll do that also.
I'll take you up on that. That'll take me out of the shared wheat group.

Bobby, you’re terrific for dealing with all of us. Thanks

Edit:
So bkov, who are you? Where are you located? Are you really female or just a default female. (Not much in your profile.)

I don't mind you guys taking split bags, heck you can even use my scale to do it, but one of the parties has to take on the full sack responsibility and you guys can deal with the splitting of grain and money when you arrive to pick up. AnoldUR, are you willing to add the full sack of wheat to your order and deal directly with mystery man?

Guys, even if you're a supporting member, everyone please PM me with full name, address and phone number. It will make me a little more comfortable putting the money up.

NOTE: ALL ORDERS MUST BE FOR UNMILLED GRAIN. There can be delays for milling requests, it costs more, and just in case someone doesn't pick their order up, I want to be stuck with something I can store.

If you ask for "maris otter" generically, I'm putting you down for Thomas and Fawcett MO since that's what I'm getting for myself. It's 3 cents more per pound but I think it's worth it.

Thanks Bobby for doing this, sounds good so far. Are you weighing and splitting the grains for the community split? Can you add me to the list for 5#s of each also except the wheat? So total is 2 MOs, 1/2 a wheat, and 20#s splits.

no, im male, thought i set that in my profile. Im from essex county(northern) nj. I'll send my payment via paypal no problem once we get a final count so we know the shipping costs. We have 29 sacks currently?

AnoldUR, are you willing to add the full sack of wheat to your order and deal directly with mystery man?
That’s fine with me, but I'm not sure how the dividing up will work. It may be difficult to coordinate us both being there at the same time. I’d be willing to pitch in a little extra for your time if you could have it separated. If by some remote chance bkov doesn’t come through, I’ll just take both bags.

Hey Guys, I am a member of another board (NB) that usually does a group buy. This year it looks like that one is falling through. Bkov just turned me on to this buy and I'd like to get in on it if possible. I have no problem fronting the money, but I just remembered that I will be out of town from the 14th at least through the 20th and possibly through the end of August.

Would that be a problem? I am looking for at least 2 sacks of T&F Maris Otter, 1 sack of Canada Pilsen, and I wouldn't turn down 5 lbs of Munich if there's any left in the group split.

Please let me know. Guys on the other board can vouch for me if you like, but I imagine cash in hand should do the trick as well.

Edit: I am in Bradley Gardens, in Bridgewater, BTW. Bobby, I will PM you with details if you think it'll work out for you.

Regarding the two posts above....

Shipping. There's enough orders now for $5 per sack shipping. I might get a couple more takers to drop it a little lower, but it's too difficult to keep recalculating when the ultimate difference to each buyer is $1-3. Therefore, consider the per sack shipping rate at $5 from now on.

I'll be breaking up the community specialties into 1-gallon zip lock bags which hold exactly 5lbs each. I'm paying myself for bags and work by charging $1 a pound flat. It's still 50% cheaper than any LHBS to you.

On the 50/50 wheat split, you both pay the $5 shipping charge which puts $5 in my pocket. That makes each share of 27.5lbs cost you 23.15 or 84 cents a pound.

Hey Guys, I am a member of another board (NB) that usually does a group buy. This year it looks like that one is falling through. Bkov just turned me on to this buy and I'd like to get in on it if possible. I have no problem fronting the money, but I just remembered that I will be out of town from the 14th at least through the 20th and possibly through the end of August.

Would that be a problem? I am looking for at least 2 sacks of T&F Maris Otter, 1 sack of Canada Pilsen, and I wouldn't turn down 5 lbs of Munich if there's any left in the group split.

I'll put you down on the list. As long as you make payment by next Thursday, you're good to go. Why haven't you checked the WHALES brewing club yet?

Guys, please weigh in on this for me.... The crystal malts I'm looking at are Thomas Fawcett pale crystal and crystal II. The Lovibond ratings are 20-27L and 62-68L respectively. I was originally thinking 20L and 40L but do you all think having a slightly larger color gap would be better? There's not MUCH difference between 40 and 60. Let me know, I'll go with majority.

Why haven't you checked the WHALES brewing club yet?

Inertia. I have two young kids, so right now I'm not real keen on dedicating additional time to a brew club. Probably in a few years, though. I'm not adverse to lifting a pint or two with my fellow brewers in the name of the hobby.

Is there anyone from the Bridgewater area getting in on this buy? If so, let me know and maybe we can work out a joint pick-up.

I'll confer with my buddy and send you a PM with my final order and PayPal confirmation by Monday. Thanks, man. :mug:

I have two young kids myself but one Tuesday night a month hardly seems like dedication ;-)

Bridgewater is like a 10 minute ride from Piscataway. If we happen to get a few guys to come pick up at the same time, it might be nice to take an hour or so to chat and sip.

I have two young kids myself but one Tuesday night a month hardly seems like dedication ;-)

Give me time, I'll come up with a better excuse.

Bridgewater is like a 10 minute ride from Piscataway. If we happen to get a few guys to come pick up at the same time, it might be nice to take an hour or so to chat and sip.

I'll drink to that. Like I said, I'll be out of town from the 14th on, but if it works out it'd be cool to meet some neighborhood brewers. It's more like 25 minutes for me, being way the hell out on the west side, but no big deal.

Bobby,

MrNate gave me the heads-up on the Northern Brewer board. Westfield resident so driving down to pick-up is no problem.

Hers my order;

1 sack Pils, Franco-Belge #HF101
1 sack Munich, Best Maltz, # B201
2 sacks Pils, BestMaltz, B101
2 sacks Pale ale 2-row, Canada Malting #2060

I'm PM'ing you for payment info. Cool.

Bobby,

I would like to get in on this next time you order. I just received my alottment of Rahr 2 Row (55#) so I am good for a while. I live in Hackettstown so it would be a hop skip and a jump for me to get to Piscataway.

GL

-WW

We'll see how arduous this time goes and that will determine whether or not it happens again.

Bobby,

Seinfeld had the soup Nazi...you be the grain Nazi...let em line up and take it the way it's served. I forsee the community split being arduos for you. I suggest basing it on shares of all spec. grains. One share will equal one fraction of all the bags and will vary based upon participation @ $1 /lb. Maybe one share will yield 4 lbs of each or maybe 8 of each....who knows??

Serve it up and make the rules as you go...don't let it get arduos as we all would like to see this again.

Thanks, Mike

Back