Centennial IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrench001

Reaction score
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe: Centennial IPA
Style: American IPA
TYPE: Extract

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.074 SG
Estimated Color: 11.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 135.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
3.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 30.00 %
6.00 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 60.00 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 10.00 %
3.00 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 135.3 IBU
2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (5 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) Yeast-Ale

Notes:
------
My friends were asking for a super hoppy beer so this is my next brew.
Any comments would be appreciated.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I read once that there was a limit to what humans could perceive in terms of IBUs. I don't remember the number but I know it wasn't 3 digits. I don't know anything about the credibility this source though. Just something to consider. Either way that is WAY over what any style calls for. IBUs alone don't make a beer hoppy. It's a combination of bitterness, flavor and aroma. I'd suggest going with 1 oz Warrior at 60 and using the money on the other two ounces for more at 15-20 minutes for flavor. You'll get plenty of aroma with the 5 min and dry hop additions. That's just my 2 cents.

Oh, and check your hop source. Today's Centennial are often "Centennial Type" hops made from a blend of other hops (due to the shortage) that supposedly comes close. Cascade and Amarillo are other great options. I haven't used Simcoe yet but I've read great things about it for hop flavor and aroma.

My favorite IPAs get most of their IBUs in the last 30 minutes.

Looking around the net it seems like it's fairly close to Ruination. I still think you should use less Warrior.

You can start by cutting the bittering addition in half. Warrior is an aggressive hop and 1-1.5 oz. would be sufficient. I would think about doing three Centennial additions, maybe 1.5 oz. @ 20 min., 1.5 oz. @ 5 min., and 1 oz. dry hop. "Hoppy" isn't so much about bitterness, but about a balance of bitterness, flavor and aroma. Your hop schedule as it is now would make for a very bitter IPA with tons of hop aroma but mild hop flavor.

Also, I would think about a blend of crystal malt to add some color and complexity. Maybe .5 lb. of crystal 20 and another .5 lb. of crystal 60 or something like that.

Finally, make a starter with your liquid yeast. That's a fairly big beer and a yeast starter would help immensely.

That's all I've got. With a couple minor tweaks you'll have yourself one fantastic IPA. :mug:

Looks like a tasty brew man! I would maybe spread out the 2oz centennial addition over the last 25 minutes or so, which would add some flavor and give it a few more IBUs. You are going to be dry hopping, so you will get a lot of aroma from it, but it doesn't contribute to the hop flavor or IBUs from what I've read. Also, the more wort you actually boil in your kettle, the more IBUs you will get. This looks pretty similar to the ruination extract clone recipe, except with more IBUs.

There is a difference between a super hoppy beer and a super bitter beer. I prefer my IPA's to be overloaded with late additions and i like to keep the IBU's around 70ish.

My last IPA my Hop schedule looked like this:

1 oz Galena @ 60
1 oz Centennial @ 20
1 oz Centennial @ 15
1 oz Centennial @ 10
1 oz Centennial @ 5
1 oz Centennial @ flame out

1 oz Centennial @ dry hop
1 oz Cascade @ dry hop

Had a nice bitterness and awesome hop flavor and aroma.

Another lover of the late hop. Made this today:

American Amber Ale 3/17/09
American Amber Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 2/25/2009
Batch Size: 12.00 gal
Brewer:
Boil Size: 12.14 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: BREWTREE- 15 Gallon Brewing System
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
22.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 73.95 %
6.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 20.17 %
1.00 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 3.36 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 1.68 %
0.25 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 0.84 %
2.50 oz Vanguard [5.50 %] (90 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 20.0 IBU
6.00 oz Fresh hop Cascade [2.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
5.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (10 min) Hops 29.1 IBU
6.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (5 min) Hops 14.8 IBU
5.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 6.8 IBU
0.50 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
0.50 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
3 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.068 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.068 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.72 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6.92 %
Bitterness: 70.6 IBU Calories: 307 cal/pint
Est Color: 10.6 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body Total Grain Weight: 29.75 lb
Sparge Water: 0.96 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Light Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 37.19 qt of water at 161.4 F 150.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 23.80 qt of water at 200.2 F 168.0 F

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Kegged (Forced CO2) Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Pressure/Weight: 21.6 PSI Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 60.0 F Age for: 28.0 days
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

Lots of hop goo for sure. My Beersmith says 12 gallons, but I really just fill the keggle pretty much to the max to accommodate hop absorption. Aside from that, I just run a little short of 10 gallons.

I prefer a lot of IPA's that are well balanced with flavor and aroma, with a nice bitter bite. Seems your recipe may be a tongue splitter, but missing the aroma and flavor to balance it out. I brewed a 100 ibu IPA this weekend (2.9g FV) with the following hop schedule. Love the latter Centennial and Cascade. Og on this was 1.070 and i will dry hop with probably 1.5 - 2 oz of equal Centennial and Cascade to balance further. Mind that this was a FV or 2.9g:rockin:

.75 Columbus 13.7aa 60 min 62ibu
.35 Centennial 10.6aa 30 min 15.2ibu
.35 Centennial 10.6aa 20 min 12 ibu
.35 Cascade 8.6aa 10 min 5.8ibu (probably negligible)
.5 Cascade 8.6aa 5 min3 4.6 ibu (again negligible)
.15 Cascade 8.6aa 0 min 0 ibu

Thanks for all the feedback.

Based on the comments I'm thinking of modifying the hop additions to:
1 oz Warrior - 60 min
1 oz Centennial - 25 min
1 oz Centennial - 15 min
1 oz Centennial - 5 min
2 oz Centennial - Dry Hop 7 days

This will drop the IBU's to 80.9 (according to beersmith) and hopefully get more of the hop flavor rather than just the aroma.

Now that's more like it. This should be a much more balanced and delicious IPA now. Aren't you glad you sought our wise council? :p

Well, this was a big success. Had a party at the house and for some reason 3 of my kegs are empty and there are 4 cases of bud light that were brought over still sitting unopened in my fridge.... funny how that works.
Anyway, had several requests to make more of this IPA so I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Its a definite hop kick to the face.

Next... maybe I'll have to make a Randall the Enamel Animal and see how much hops my friends can take :rockin:

I'm thinking about brewing up a Centennial IPA of my own this summer. The recipe is similar to yours except a bit lower in gravity and uses all Centennial hops.

7 lbs. XL-DME
1 lb. Crystal 40L
1 oz. Centennial (60 min.)
1 oz. Centennial (20 min.)
1 oz. Centennial (10 min.)
1 oz. Centennial (5 min.)
1 oz. Centennial (Dry hop)
Safale US-05

Simple and hopefully tasty.

I'm thinking about brewing up a Centennial IPA of my own this summer. The recipe is similar to yours except a bit lower in gravity and uses all Centennial hops.

7 lbs. XL-DME
1 lb. Crystal 40L
1 oz. Centennial (60 min.)
1 oz. Centennial (20 min.)
1 oz. Centennial (10 min.)
1 oz. Centennial (5 min.)
1 oz. Centennial (Dry hop)
Safale US-05

Simple and hopefully tasty.

Blast from the past-- how'd this turn out Wrench (if you can remember)? :drunk:

Blast from the past-- how'd this turn out Wrench (if you can remember)? :drunk:

Ended up doing this:

9 lbs. light LME
1 lb. C40L
1 oz. Centennial- 60 min.
1 oz. Centennial- 20 min.
2 oz. Centennial- 5 min.
1 oz. Centennial- DH
US05

This is a very good beer.

Ended up doing this:

9 lbs. light LME
1 lb. C40L
1 oz. Centennial- 60 min.
1 oz. Centennial- 20 min.
2 oz. Centennial- 5 min.
1 oz. Centennial- DH
US05

This is a very good beer.

Sorry Hooter. Knew it was yours. I've got 1/2 lb of centennial I want to use up-- this is right up my alley. I plan on using about 7 lbs of DME, with 1/2 of it as a late addition.

Lots of grapefruit? What other flavor/aroma characteristics do you recall?

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry Hooter. Knew it was yours. I've got 1/2 lb of centennial I want to use up-- this is right up my alley. I plan on using about 7 lbs of DME, with 1/2 of it as a late addition.

Lots of grapefruit? What other flavor/aroma characteristics do you recall?

Thanks for the reply.

Centennial is uber-citrusy. Lemon zest is the first thing that comes to mind, with some subtle floral notes. Grapefruit is present but not as much as with Cascade hops. This is a great candidate for a single hopped IPA no doubt. If you like citrusy American IPA's you're going to love this beer.

Latest posts

Back