Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My experience was exactly the same as yours, what has worked well for my taste buds was to move the 60 minute hop additions to a FWH addition. The extra contact time made the bitterness spot on and I love it!

I may be getting a handle on this brewing thing.
I went with .25oz of cascade in the keg since there is roughly 3 gals left.
If it isn't enough I can add more.

Just brewed my first 5 gal batch ever this weekend. Been doing 1 gal before that. Getting everything dialed in so I was a little off. I did BIAB method and must have figured my water wrong or lost count. Anyway ended up with 7 gallons. OG was 1.032. Also I started my mash at the right temp 152-153 but accidentally left the burner on low and it got to 160.

Anyway despite all the learning curves this first go round when I sampled (since I had sooo much extra) it tasted great and sweet so I’m hoping I didn’t get too high on my temp otherwise I’m really excited for this one.

Also, I didn’t have any Nottingham just Safale S-04. Will this be close or have I just changed the flavor profile?

My first batch of this turned out great, after bottle conditioning it tasted really good but after spending about a month in the fridge the flavor, clarity, and head-retention are really outstanding. Getting ready to brew this again soon before I run out!

Thanks for the recipe BM. I brewed a couple of weeks ago and followed the recipe pretty closely. Used centennial pellets and some of my home grown cascade. I upped the cascade additions due to the leaf and unknown alpha. It tastes and looks good but I went ahead and put it in secondary and will bottle next weekend. OG of about 1.048 and FG after primary 1.01. A bit high but should come in just over 5% abv or so.

So here is my finished product from this recipe. So awesome!!!

Thx for the recipe!

Attachments

• 20180612_174619.jpg
    20180612_174619.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 564
Second attempt at this, switched target profile and used RO water for my source. Wow, what a huge difference RO water makes. First attempt was good, but this is light years better. I knew it would be better, but didn't know it would be THAT much better. Bringing a keg to a customer event tomorrow night. I hope it's good enough they drain it, but I also want to drink on it for a while. Guess that's means I get to brew it again.

Second attempt at this, switched target profile and used RO water for my source. Wow, what a huge difference RO water makes. First attempt was good, but this is light years better. I knew it would be better, but didn't know it would be THAT much better. Bringing a keg to a customer event tomorrow night. I hope it's good enough they drain it, but I also want to drink on it for a while. Guess that's means I get to brew it again.

What, if any, addititves did you use with the RO water? A local brewer I know has had success with using RO water and adding ACCUmash packets. I haven't tried this yet, but if you're tasting that big of a difference with this brew maybe I should...

First time brewing this, used Nottingham, went 1.037 to 1.008 (4.6% ABV), bottle conditioned and wow, this is great! Brewed with RO with some adjustments (Light and hoppy profile in Brewer's Friend). Easy drinking, nothing complicated. I will definitely have this on hand at all times, crowd pleaser for sure... Thanks BierMuncher!

What, if any, addititves did you use with the RO water? A local brewer I know has had success with using RO water and adding ACCUmash packets. I haven't tried this yet, but if you're tasting that big of a difference with this brew maybe I should...
For 5.25 target in my system I used 1 gram baking soda, 4 grams gypsum, and 5 grams calcium carbonate. That was on 8.3 gallons of water (which I over shot a bit). I also added 14g tartaric acid to get my mash pH in range. If you use brewers friend they have built in calculators to help with this, you just have to play with it some. Gypsum and calcium carbonate are the main salts you will use but it's good to have baking soda and epsom salt on hand too because you can end up with too much calcium trying to get. My water profile target was light balanced

This blonde ale is a perfect base for hop-bursting and dry hopping, could boost the gravity a couple of points to add some supporting maltiness. Great recipe!

I just brewed a batch of this using Imperial Flagship yeast and achieved an exceptionally high attenuation. I mashed right at 150* and the OG was rigth at 1.044, but my FG dropped all the way down to 1.003. I’ve found the Imperial strains generally tend to attenuate to a somewhat drier finish (1.008 to 1.010 when I would normally expect 1.010 to 1.012) but nothing like this. Don’t get me wrong, it came out very tasty, so I’m not complaining.

Has anyone else found this beer to finish a little drier than expected?

Brewed this last Friday. Used all centennial basically because I screwed up when adding recipe in BeerSmith, and listed the two Cascade additions as Centennial. Added a whirlpool addition also just for the heck of it. It smelled great and a sample after krausen fell on day 5 tasted great! Nottingham got it down from 1.041 to 1.008 in no time. Cold crashing this weekend and kegging next week.

Just made a 6 gal batch basically to harvest a batch of Wyeast 1056. I used 9 grams rather than 7 for the hop additions. Ended up w/ 5.5 gal in fermentor at .046. Can't wait to taste!

I brewed this beer for a 4th of July BBQ and it was a definite crowd-pleaser. It's a very forgiving recipe - I miscalculated my boiloff rate and got 1.038 for OG, but US-05 took it down to 1.007 so it got to about 4% ABV or so, and tasted great, on top of being very refreshing on a hot summer day. Perfect lawnmower beer.

I will add that for anyone still getting a handle on their particular brewing technique, this beer really gives you an honest look at what's going on - no big flavors to hide anything weird going on under the surface. For instance, I'm still working on getting my water chemistry and fermentation process nailed down, and this beer really allowed me to taste the results clearly, as far as flavors contributed by these elements (without big roast or hop flavors to obscure things).

It also makes a good shandy, if you're into that sort of thing.

boiling this now on the deck.
It's my first 11 gallon biab batch in my 15 gallon kettle.
the last 5 gal batch went too fast.

I think I miscalculated something when I adjusted base malt for ~90% efficiency.
came in at 1.036 OG.
But I also mashed at 149 cause it took longer to get a 10 gal batch of grain in the pot and broken up.
Hope the harvested Notty i'm using is hungry. lol.

Oh well slightly less than 4% hop forward beer will be fine for day drinking.

Last edited:
I brewed this beer for a 4th of July BBQ and it was a definite crowd-pleaser. It's a very forgiving recipe - I miscalculated my boiloff rate and got 1.038 for OG, but US-05 took it down to 1.007 so it got to about 4% ABV or so, and tasted great, on top of being very refreshing on a hot summer day. Perfect lawnmower beer.

I will add that for anyone still getting a handle on their particular brewing technique, this beer really gives you an honest look at what's going on - no big flavors to hide anything weird going on under the surface. For instance, I'm still working on getting my water chemistry and fermentation process nailed down, and this beer really allowed me to taste the results clearly, as far as flavors contributed by these elements (without big roast or hop flavors to obscure things).

It also makes a good shandy, if you're into that sort of thing.
What have you come up with for the water treatment? I used 9 gal RO water with 2.25g Gyp. and 4.5g CaCl plus 3 ml lactic in the mash for 51Ca 64Cl and 37So4 . I used MMEasy and EZ water calculators, they were both high on the acid additions. I was shooting for 5.4 ph and ended up with 5.27. I also upped my grain bill slightly for a total of 10.7 lbs.

What have you come up with for the water treatment? I used 9 gal RO water with 2.25g Gyp. and 4.5g CaCl plus 3 ml lactic in the mash for 51Ca 64Cl and 37So4 . I used MMEasy and EZ water calculators, they were both high on the acid additions. I was shooting for 5.4 ph and ended up with 5.27. I also upped my grain bill slightly for a total of 10.7 lbs.

I somewhat loosely targetted the "Light colored and hoppy" Brewer's Friend water profile. I use EZ Water which gave me the following additions (for 7.83 gal Seattle water): 5.4g gypsum, 2.9g CaCl2, and 1.6g MgSO4, for 75Ca 5Mg 50Cl and 124SO4. I also added 2 ml lactic acid to get to 5.4 pH. It seemed to me like the gypsum addition was a little much, since the beer is definitely more balanced than "hoppy", and I imagined that I could taste it in the final product, although nobody else complained. Next time I believe I will target a Cl:SO4 ratio closer to 1:1.

So I figured out why my OG was so low.
I didn't boil all the way down to 11 gallons.
More like 12.
I use a dip stick to test depth and didn't actually count out the gallons, I just measured my marks and made more so maybe I screwed up there.

but happily the notty was hungry and after 4 days the FG is 1.005 which brings me back up to just over 4%.
However the sample was a little malty.
I have it at 70 degree's now.
I'm going to keg sat to give it a few more days then cold crash, add gelatin, and if it needs some balancing dry hop with .5 oz of cascade.

Very enjoyable. The last keg looks like it will only last a couple of weeks from everyone giving it a go. Grain to glass in two weeks.

Sipping on this right now. I did botch it by mis-reading kilograms for ounces. Very refreshing a more hoppy than I expected, but a great beer.

I brewed this beer with some adjustments. I kicked up the ibus and abv to make it more of a pale ale. I also added citra as a flameout addition. Tried it today for the first time and it is one of the cleanest and most balanced beers I've made so far.
IMG_20180805_131218.jpeg

I brewed this beer with some adjustments. I kicked up the ibus and abv to make it more of a pale ale. I also added citra as a flameout addition. Tried it today for the first time and it is one of the cleanest and most balanced beers I've made so far. View attachment 582254
Thanks. Brewed my 4th batch of this yesterday and added some citra to try it out

Ok, so. I have this sitting in the fridge at 68*. It's in a sanke fermenter so I can't see what's going on, BUT there isn't much action in the airlock. Hasn't since I pitched the yeast. Should I be worried?

I’ve been tweaking a house ale recipe for a few months now and this is it. This is the recipe that will be a permanent fixture at my house. I’ve brewed it twice, served the first 10 gallons to friends, families and “curious on-lookers”, and just finished the second 10 gallon batch with identical results.

Light and crisp. The IBU’s are on the low side, but there is a nice sweet/spicy balance to the beer. The great fresh taste of a craft ale with an extremely clean finish. This reminds me of what a local craft brewery might come out of the gates with to win over a new market. Very drinkable with wide appeal. I’ve yet to have anyone, even BMC drinkers not say it’s one of the best beers they’ve tasted….period. The secret lies in the name. I moved through Northern Brewer, Nugget and Pearle hops, all in combination with Cascade. Even went with a strict Cascade hop bill, but was just a bit on the tart side for this lighter grain bill.

Once I matched up Centennial as the bittering hop and Cascade as a flavor/aroma hop…that’s when the magic happened.

This is also a simple, hard to screw up recipe. At just around 4%, this is a quaffer. Due to the lighter grain bill…this is easily a beer that can go from grain to glass in 2 weeks (if you keg).

View attachment 3114

****10-Gallon Batch****
Batch Size: 11.00 gal
Boil Size: 13.69 gal
Estimated OG: 1.039 SG
Estimated Color: 3.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 21.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
14.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.25 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
0.50 oz Centennial [9.50%] (55 min)
0.50 oz Centennial [9.50%] (35 min)
0.50 oz Cascade [7.80%] (20 min)
0.50 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min)
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) (Hydrated)

****5 Gallon Batch****

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.57 gal
Estimated OG: 1.040 SG
Estimated IBU: 21.5 IBU

Ingredients:
------------
Amount
7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
0.75 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (55 min)
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (35 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (20 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min)

Mash at 150 degrees for 60 minutes.
I’ve been tweaking a house ale recipe for a few months now and this is it. This is the recipe that will be a permanent fixture at my house. I’ve brewed it twice, served the first 10 gallons to friends, families and “curious on-lookers”, and just finished the second 10 gallon batch with identical results.

Light and crisp. The IBU’s are on the low side, but there is a nice sweet/spicy balance to the beer. The great fresh taste of a craft ale with an extremely clean finish. This reminds me of what a local craft brewery might come out of the gates with to win over a new market. Very drinkable with wide appeal. I’ve yet to have anyone, even BMC drinkers not say it’s one of the best beers they’ve tasted….period. The secret lies in the name. I moved through Northern Brewer, Nugget and Pearle hops, all in combination with Cascade. Even went with a strict Cascade hop bill, but was just a bit on the tart side for this lighter grain bill.

Once I matched up Centennial as the bittering hop and Cascade as a flavor/aroma hop…that’s when the magic happened.

This is also a simple, hard to screw up recipe. At just around 4%, this is a quaffer. Due to the lighter grain bill…this is easily a beer that can go from grain to glass in 2 weeks (if you keg).

View attachment 3114

****10-Gallon Batch****

Ingredients:
------------

****5 Gallon Batch****

Ingredients:
------------
Amount

View attachment 3114

****10-Gallon Batch****

Ingredients:
------------

****5 Gallon Batch****

Ingredients:
------------
Amount

Since I get so many visitors that don't want hoppy beers, I tried a ten gal batch of this one. 1.5 million hits and the fact that I had the correct hops on hand helped. It was a normalish brew day. I had some equipment hassles so forgot the lactic acid addition... Lots of floating gunk (hot break?) in the wort. The fermenters had floating stuff that looked like dumplings. I am very experienced and this was different. At this altitude, I only get a 200 deg boil. Any input on that?.... The Notty, I pitched directly since it was on the high side of the Mr. Malty needed cell count. Used O2 from a tank. Ferment started on time and is vigorous at 68 deg. I cooled the room to 64 degrees (this is a high altitude place so it gets cold at night). It is still fermenting so we will see. I'm planning to try gelatin in the kegs to speed up clarifying and since there is no dry hop. Any comments or suggestions?

Lol I floated a keg of this by myself in 4 days at the lake. I’d think I have a drinking problem but I actually didn’t drink for a few days after. I cold crashed 2 days then gelatin 2 days then transferred to a new keg before the 2 hr drive. Came out crystal clear after a few hrs of Settling and a few pulls with some sediment. Perfect for all day drinking.

I dry hopped 0.5oz cenntinial at two weeks to a 10 gal batch and kegged at 17days. A little hoppy and green. I hope it will mellow out over the next two weeks.

I made this batch and just bottled it. Hit the numbers pretty close with OG 1.039 and Fg 1.009. Color was clear and golden and tasted great. Looking forward to tasting this after 2 weeks of bottle conditioning.

Question: I live in ATL and water quality seems pretty good but haven’t done any testing. Will using RO make that big of a difference?

I have 2 empty 1gallon carbuoys and thinking of doing an experiment...

I made this batch and just bottled it. Hit the numbers pretty close with OG 1.039 and Fg 1.009. Color was clear and golden and tasted great. Looking forward to tasting this after 2 weeks of bottle conditioning.

Question: I live in ATL and water quality seems pretty good but haven’t done any testing. Will using RO make that big of a difference?

I have 2 empty 1gallon carbuoys and thinking of doing an experiment...

If you build a water profile along with it, you’ll notice a difference. My beers have changed for the better since using distilled and making my own water profile

Back