Centennial Aroma Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frazier

Reaction score
Yesterday I tried a Bell's Two-Hearted for the first time. I've been hearing a lot of rave reviews, including a clone recipe here. I noticed that the recipe uses only Centennial hops.

I really enjoyed the flavor of the beer, but ... (there's always a "but", right?) ... the aroma was really odd. The only way I can describe it is antiseptic-like. Made me think I was in a hospital or something. I handed the glass to SWMBO, and her reaction was very similar to mine. Good flavor, strange aroma.

Is this common for Centennial? Maybe it's just my preference, and I should avoid dry-hopping with it. Anyone else notice this?

No worries - I'd heard that some of the Two-Hearted was recalled by Bell's, and I'm not sure if I got a skunked or a proper bottle. If that aroma is normal, I'd like to know. Maybe I could just dry-hop with Cascades, but then I might as well find a different recipe. There are lots to choose from.

It's got the most floral smell of any beer I've tried. I've never noticed anything medicinal/antiseptic about it.

If you don't like Centennial, there's not much point in cloning Bell's Two-Hearted!

The Two Hearted batches which were recalled were infected iirc. I do not think the aroma you mention is related. I would check the batch number for age though, 2h is mch more pleasant fresh.

Cenntential, particularly in 2H, has an almost perfect balance of floral and citric qualities. I would give cenntenial a shot before writing it off, sounds like an off bottle.

I dunno but i had my first 2 hearted on Friday, i loveed i. And I made it today. Well actually i took the clone recipe, substituted the 8 oz cara pils for 1 lb red wheat and went all Cascade. so, totally different, but still expecting a killer IPA:mug:

I am a huge centennial aroma fan, and I dont get the medicinal / antiseptic smell ever. I would think there were other problems associated with that beer.

Back