Centennial, Amarillo and Citra Hop Combo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

alibremo

Reaction score
I am designing an APA recipe and I want to achieve a well balanced - not too bitter - tropical flavour and aroma. Here's the hop schedule I've come up with. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-12-29 at 17.33.42.png
    Screenshot 2021-12-29 at 17.33.42.png
    118.3 KB · Views: 68

Sammy86

Still thirsty
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Personally, I would FWH with Amarillo, but the rest of your hop schedule looks good. Are you planning to dry hop as well?

OP
OP
A

alibremo

Reaction score
Personally, I would FWH with Amarillo, but the rest of your hop schedule looks good. Are you planning to dry hop as well?

I wasn't because I dont have a way to do it oxygen free so i went with the hopstand. Don't think I'll get enough aroma?

Jag75

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
You'll get great aroma with those in a whirlpool or hopstand . I love Amarillo hops . I'd use more Amarillo then Citra since Citra is strong . El Dorado is great too so either way it sounds tasty . You can't go wrong with Citra in a pale ale though. It's a win win man . You just have to go what your taste buds want .

anteater8

Reaction score
Im thinking of swapping the Citra for El Dorado to get more tropical aroma

I almost exclusively use Centennial, Amarillo, Citra and Simcoe in my west coast style APA's and IPA's. You can do so much with these four hops.
I think your recipe looks great, but I would personally double the 15 min addition (then adjust FWH to get back to 36 IBU) and add a ~2oz dry hop of Citra and Amarillo.

GBRbrew

THIS IS MY BREWSTICK!!!
Reaction score
Have you used centennial before? Its probably just my palate but every time I use it I have to be very careful, the bitterness I get from it can be overwhelming to me

Cheers