Cellar temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoptopia

Reaction score
If you cellar beer at too cold/hot a temp, what are the off flavors produced?

There was a study done in I believe BYO magazine maybe zymurgy about this. Believe it or not the study showed noticeable but minimal off flavors and in some blind tastings there was no difference. The conditions were cellar temp / room temp and attic temps.

sorry should have stated this was over the course of a month or so. I would never suggest to do a extended cellaring at 85 degrees. I cellar at 50 degrees. I was just citing a study about temps affecting flavor ( forgot to say for 30 days ).

So does anyone know what off flavors will be produced if cellar temps are off?

I think that would depend on sanitation, how far along your fermentation is, oxygen introduction, etc. It will definitely "age" faster though.

Depends on what you're making... If you're doing a stout at room temp (75ish) and age it at 85, you probably won't notice much difference.

Now, say youre doing a pilsner. You ferment at 48, then try and lager in the attic(85). Because there is much less to hide behind (light malts, etc) once you chill down to serving temp you will have a harsher beer, that won't be as clear. The longer it's kept at 40 or below, the more chill haze will precipitate (the proteins that cause the harsher flavors may precipitate out as well).

All things equal, assuming perfect sanitation, and sealing so no oxygen can get in.

Oddly enough, you pressurize the batch and you can get similar cold aging results at warmer temps, but not up to the 80s. Another thing to worry about too warm would be yeast decomposition. Some nasty flavors are imparted when yeast explode.

As for too cold: as long as it doesn't freeze, there is no such thing as too cold, IMHO.

My basement stays int he 60's year round usually. I have multiple beer/meads as well as commercial beers put away. I have never noticed any off flavors from any of them. Even ones that are way past a year or even two years old. As long as it's not ridiculously hot or below freezing, you probably won't notice much.

Back