Cell Count

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zrule

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the approximate cell count in this washed 2nd generation yeast? It is Wyeast Amercan Ale. Bottle is 2" in diameter and the yeast is 7/8" deep?

Yeast.jpg

You have about 2.75 cubic inches, or 45 ml of yeast slurry there. In Yeast: The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation Chris White says that a yeast slurry will usually have a density between .8 billion and 2 billion cells per ml. You washed your yeast and it looks pretty clean so I'd estimate 1.5 billion cells/ml. (Its good to be a little conservative) That gives you about 67 billion cells.

Thanks jhamilt for your quick reply. Wow I guess I don't need a starter for my next batch of 5% summer wheat. I have heard that you can use too much yeast. Is that true and how does it effect the beer?

Oops....I was thinking a smackpack contained 1 billion cells....but it is 100 billion. Thanks for the help.

Back