Celebrator Doppelbock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maffewl

Reaction score
Recipe:

Batch size: 5 gal.
Target OG: 1.072
Target FG: 1.018
ABV%: 7.1

3.3# Bavarian LME (Late Addition)
1.6# Bavarian DME (15 min.)
2.75# Light DME
1.33# Munich Malt 10L
1.33# Munich Malt 20L
0.33# Chocolate Malt
2 oz. Hallertau (60 min.)
Looking for a good yeast strain... (my LHBS doesn't carry what is called for so suggestions welcome)

This seems to be a good spring time beer to start getting ready but I am concerned about the lagering process (I've never attempted before). I would like to ferment for at least 3 weeks at around 68-70 degrees F. Then rack and place into my spare fridge for 3 weeks at around 40 degrees... any thoughts on this process? I really can't do the process of changing the temp. day to day. Fermenting at 70 is pretty much my only option (It will have to stay in my pool table room to ferment and SWMBO uses the spare fridge as well, so I can't continually mess with the temp.) So if I do go with this method of 3 weeks 70F, 3 weeks 40F... what can I expect? Any suggestions on process or yeast strain or even the recipe itself?

If you can't actually lager this...don't make it. It would probably be a good ale, but it's not going to taste much like celebrator.

Thinking about it... I believe I could place it in my spare fridge to ferment and keep the temps low enough that they could keep the other drinks in there cold. Should I go with this method? Or I guess a better question would be, if this was your brew... what process would you use and I will see if I can figure a way to make that happen. Also, any suggestions on yeast strain?

Back