Celebrating my first 10 gallon batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefmike

Reaction score
I love it when it all comes together!

I did a simple wheat beer:

14 lbs wheat malt
8 lbs vienna
1 lb rice hulls

153 degrees for 90 minutes.

Half is in a cube to No-chill and the other half went into the fermentation chamber to finish chilling to 52 degrees (from 80 degrees) then I will pitch WL Hefe IV yeast and let it rise to 62 degrees to ferment.

My last batch of wheat I did an acid rest at 111 degrees to develop the ferulic acid and amplify the clove flavors. I skipped that this time to compare the flavor and to simplify my process on my first 10 gallon batch.

I am excited! I came out at 1.063 (corrected from 82 degrees) and that calculated to 88% efficiency. I was not expecting to be that high, so it is a little stronger than style. I think it came from my sparge stopping and I restirred it a few times. Also I added the sparge in two batches, due to the volume. I may start doing that all the time if I can hold 80 to 85%.

I just thought I would share!

congrats 10G is a great step. Twice the beer for no more work and only a little more time for stuff to heat to temp :) My first 10'er was also a wit, BM's.

I just did my first 10 yesterday and did a stout! Cheers to the both of us bro!

Yay 10s! My first AG will be set up for 10 gallons. Why bother with 5?

Thanks all of you!

Of course, now I am looking at gravity feeding from an electric HLT, as it is more weight in water hauling around. But I always have something to tinker with!

I just bought my grain/yeast/hops for my first 10 gallon AG this weekend. girlfriend/family/friends seem to love my blonde ale, and i'm just tired of brewing it, when i could be doing different recipes/styles, so i figured i'd move it to 10 gallon batches.

Back