Caulk question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleforge

Reaction score
Where can you find food grade caulk? And is it safe to have a beer ferment a month on top of this stuff?

Don't ask why! :D

I use this stuff
McMaster-Carr
in my boil kettle, it is FDA approved
FDA CFR21 177.2600 compliant when it reaches full strength and is washed. Meets ASTM C920, Class 25.

I looked all the numbers/codes up and it is food grade stuff.

Hmmmm. Cracked our fermenter have we?

Hehe, well not exactly, I have a large steel conical with a ball valve welded to the bottom plate. It was one I made up at work since we are in the plastics industry and use the conical hoppers. Anyhow I had our welder weld the plate / valve to the bottom. Its air tight, holds pressure and has no leaks, but the inside plate area is a metal to metal fit and I was hoping for extra assurance to put a bead of caulk down inside so nothing creeps under the seam line.

Thanks Conpewter, ordering now!

Hehe, well not exactly, I have a large steel conical with a ball valve welded to the bottom plate. It was one I made up at work since we are in the plastics industry and use the conical hoppers. Anyhow I had our welder weld the plate / valve to the bottom. Its air tight, holds pressure and has no leaks, but the inside plate area is a metal to metal fit and I was hoping for extra assurance to put a bead of caulk down inside so nothing creeps under the seam line.

Thanks Conpewter, ordering now!

Sounds nice, and that is a good idea as well. Let's not give the nasties any place to hide from the sanitizer. Try to post some pics for the rest of us when you get it going.
Nice avitar by the way. The nuts are harder to see in mine....

Back