Category for Belgian Table Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madcowbrewing

Reaction score
What category would a Belgian Table beer (3.5%) fit into in the new guidelines? The only one I would think it is close to is Trappist single, 26A.

Sounds too low to fit neatly into any category. If it is dry, it might be similar to a Grisette, which would be in the Saison family. If it is more balanced it could be Belgian Pale or Trappist single as you suggested. What yeast did you use?

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WLP #500 Trappist
Yeast Starter: Yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 11.0 Gallon
Original Gravity: 1.033
Final Gravity: 1.006
IBU: 24.6 IBU
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90 Min
Color: 9 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 5 Days at 68 Degrees
Additional Fermentation: 1 day at 34 Degrees

Annabelle Belgian Table Beer

Recipe Specifics:

Grain/Sugars:

8.75 lbs. Pilsner Malt
1.75 lbs. Munich Malt
0.75 lbs. CaraMunich Malt
0.25 lbs. Vienna Malt
1.00 lbs. Candi Sugar, Amber
0.25 lbs. Brown Sugar, Light

Hops/Spices:

1.00 oz. Pilgrim @60 min.
16.0 gr. Coriander Seed @5 min.

Yeast:

WLP #500 Trappist

Mash Schedule:
Mash Type: Single Step

Saccharification Rest Temp:152degrees, 60 minutes

Belgian table categorically would fall into a Trappist Single. But as suggested, what do the tastes tell you. Looking at your recipe, I think you have a lot going on there. If the WLP500 dried the beer out at all, I would possibly try to slide it in as a Table Saison under 25B. Especially with the coriander added. Typically you wouldn't see that under a trappist single, they are generally much simpler beers.

But in the end it comes down to how it tastes.

Belgian table categorically would fall into a Trappist Single. But as suggested, what do the tastes tell you. Looking at your recipe, I think you have a lot going on there. If the WLP500 dried the beer out at all, I would possibly try to slide it in as a Table Saison under 25B. Especially with the coriander added. Typically you wouldn't see that under a trappist single, they are generally much simpler beers.

But in the end it comes down to how it tastes.

Brilliant.... Sending this to my brothers wedding this weekend. And it is going into a few competitions to see how it does and get some feedback.

Super easy drinking and the coriander is a nice flavor addition so it doesn't seem boring.

Back