Catastrophe (sorta)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ezzieyguywuf

Reaction score
So some of you may recall that I joined up on hbt back in mid-December, because I was trying to set up a kegerator for a commercial brew that I love. Well, got it set up, bought the brew on about Dec. 18'th or some such. Last Wednesday, the keg ran dry. This is a catastrophe for me because it was _supposed_ to last me two months. You see, we budget $30/mo for me to get beer, and the keg cost $60. So now I'm beerless for a whole month!

On a good note, though, I will be doing my first homebrew this saturday. The ingredients amounted to <$30, so it'll be ok if I finish that in 1 month :p.

I seriously thought the keg would last two months though. It was a 1/6 bbl btw, in case you were wondering.

Yeah, start selling your bone marrow, start babysitting, or something, because that $30/month budget has got to go. I probably do twice that, and I usually don't drink much, if anything, during the week.

You need to get your priorities straight. How much do you have budgeted for food?

lol, our monthly food budget is ridiculous. Def >$100. I'm not sure exactly how much. I think I finished the 1/6 bbl so fast because I was too generous. I did like, 2 or 3 growler-fulls around christmas time for me and my boys. I mean, that's 1.5 gallons, over a third of the keg! I think next time I'll put the growler away and be reaalll stingy with the beer. Last time it was like, my brother came over and I was like "sure, have as much as you want!". And also, I had some foaming problems at first so every time I tweaked the setup I pulled a full pint to see how much foam I got. Next time, I'll do like 1/4 pint or something for troubleshooting :p

You can always stick a contribution jar on your kegerator for those occasions where people are drinking your brew. Family or not...they must pay to play!

Our very first keg (5gal corny) through the new kegerator was a wakeup call. My brother and I kicked that very first keg in less than a week. It was disappointing but also helped us realize how quickly we can consumer the beer. I think we were just excited about having something on tap, and went a little crazy.

Now, a keg lasts us anywhere from 2 weeks to a few months. My brother's stout still has maybe half a gallon or so left, and it's been on tap for about a month and a half, whereas a cream ale I brewed was gone in two and a half weeks.

We've got a party coming up though which we expect to take a toll on our supply, so we're putting up a tip jar. Not everyone will contribute, but historically, some people throw in 10 bucks, and others throw in nothing, but anything is better than nothing. It at least covered the cost of a refill of CO2 + a little for some six packs.

Wow. One week. That's more than I could do, though me and my two bro's could probably pull it off: if we were hung out every single day for a week. It's usually more like 1 guy's night per month :-/

Back