Catastrophe Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just thought some of you might be amused by this. Sunday afternoon, my 23 year old and I went to brew an English Brown Porter. Thing began their downward spiral when, 30 minutes into the mash, I discovered he was reading the Celsius portion of the thermometer and had added more mash water than we had intended. Every corrective step we took had other consequences, of course, we ended up with 4 gallons of some kind of brownish beer sitting in a fermenter. Hey, at least we have krausen a day later.

:mug:

That is what you get for sending that kid off to Europe so long- he became celsius-ized. He probably starting trying to tare your scale to kilos and grams behind your back as well.

I knew that kid was trouble! (Give him a hug from me, by the way!) :D

What will REALLY suck is if you've created a serendipitously amazing beer and can't remember all of the "wrong" steps you'll need to take to recreate it.

"Chicago area man and son on quest to recreate Most Epic Beer Ever Made"

Chicago - A Chicago area man, Pappers_, and his son met with a fortunate accident a few months back when his son, who had been visiting Europe previously, read their thermometer in Celsius, rather than the ubiquitous Fahrenheit. Correcting this mistake caused a chain of adjustments that eventually created a beer so tasty the two men ended up hoarding the bottles from everyone else, including Pappers_ own Homebrew Club. As their supply of this life-altering brew dwindled the two set out to try and recreate the process and reclaim the happiness they found with that first batch.

"I just don't know what we did right!" a sobbing Pappers_ told this reporter. "We started out in Celsius, as before, but from then on everything was a blur!" Pappers_ blames their snafu not so much on the Celsius issue, but on the fact they were also sampling a high alcohol homebrewed bourbon porter made last year.

Knowing that retracing their steps is critical to recreating the events of the brewday, Pappers_ has planned an extended vacation in Europe in the hopes that this will eventually lead to being to duplicate the errors that led to the transformative brew. In the meantime, Pappers_ has sworn off all beer. "Average beer is just not enjoyable to me anymore." Pappers_ explains, "It's like drinking from a cesspool after drinking from the cup of God."

You all make me laugh! So, in no particular order, we found that the pre-boil gravity was low, so we did a higher voliume sparge and boiled longer, but then ended up with too small a volume and too high a gravity, so we topped off with water. Just a total mess. I'm guessing this is going to come out tasting something like a English Mild. We'll see.

Fully
Unconventionally
Brewed
Ale
Rejoice!

When it comes out awesome you don't HAVE to tell people it was an accident. I don't think anyone else who's gone through this has confessed.

Back