Catalyst Fermentation System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A1sportsdad

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just wondering about your thoughts on this system. How about the possible issues of oxidation with all that headspace. Not sure whether to go this route or not. I’m new to all this and looking between the Big Mouth Bubbler or the Catalyst Fermentation System. I like the idea of being able to decant off the Tribe on the bottom, but don’t know if the increased headspace and potential for oxidation is really an issue. I would appreciate your insights.

https://craftabrew.com/pages/the-catalyst-fermentation-system

Thanks
Tom

wouldn't be concerned about the headspace; there's rarely too much for something like a Hefeweizen.
What I would wonder more is if the size fits the location where you want to ferment (temp. and light). Also when I look at the picture, I don't see if you are supposed to put the bottle underneath or a more traditional hose with fill wand. If there is no hose included, make sure your bottles will fit underneath; i.e. higher bottles are typically overall larger and saving you a lot of time.

wouldn't be concerned about the headspace; there's rarely too much for something like a Hefeweizen.
What I would wonder more is if the size fits the location where you want to ferment (temp. and light). Also when I look at the picture, I don't see if you are supposed to put the bottle underneath or a more traditional hose with fill wand. If there is no hose included, make sure your bottles will fit underneath; i.e. higher bottles are typically overall larger and saving you a lot of time.

I would probably be doing stout or porter, but undoubtedly some type of wheat along the way. I would be in the basement, so not worried about the light, but it does have an optional cover. Also has attachments for jars for trub removal and hose connection for bottling.

Why this constant paranoia about headspace? Ever toured a brewery and looked in to an open top fermenter?

That said, I don't like the Catalyst. I've owned one for about a year now and I'm not impressed. The slope is too shallow and the lide seal is atrocious. I do like the material and the large valve and wide mouth jar set up though. If I were to go out and buy a fermenter today, if I was going cheap but reliable, I'd go with a FastFerment. If I was going to spend a little more, I'd go with a stainless conical.

Latest posts

Back