Cat Pee Hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polamalu43

Reaction score
What hop do people feel most often imparts a "cat pee" flavor/aroma to a beer?

I've gotten that from simcoe as well. I didn't want to put in there because I didn't want to biases anybody who is responding, but yeah -- I'd love to get other people's thoughts on simcoe and cat pee.

I like Simcoes. Piney. Herbal. Spicy. Yes. I've even had hints of mint in one IPA. But, cat pee??

Then again, I've never used cat pee.

Would you add that at the beginning or end of the boil? :drunk:

I enjoyed DFH 60 minute IPA a bit more before someone brought up the whole simcoe/cat pee link. Now I swear I can taste it too. But I'm still a fan.

Some people would describe some simcoe as "catty" but I would say thats just a unrefined palate or someone who doesn't appreciate good hops :)
Piny, Citrus and Floral combine together in a very distinct way. Simcoe is one of my favorite hops, especially if you get some late boil / dry hop they leave the most distinct and magnificent hop aroma.

Simcoe hop flavor/aroma profile courtesy of www.brew365.com
chart

Some people would describe some simcoe as "catty" but I would say thats just a unrefined palate or someone who doesn't appreciate good hops :)
Piny, Citrus and Floral combine together in a very distinct way. Simcoe is one of my favorite hops, especially if you get some late boil / dry hop they leave the most distinct and magnificent hop aroma.

Simcoe hop flavor/aroma profile courtesy of Homebrewing Recipes and Articles
chart

I appreciate good hops and I like Simcoe when used in moderation, but Weyerbacher's Double Simcoe reminded me of cleaning an overused litter box

I appreciate good hops and I like Simcoe when used in moderation, but Weyerbacher's Double Simcoe reminded me of cleaning an overused litter box

The funny thing is that i was using pine sawdust kitty litter for a while... I know exactly what cat piss and pine smell like. I don't think I could stomach the Simcoe hops based on the association. Maybe I can find a friend who has used them and get a taste of his beer, but I won't risk it myself.

The funny thing about the whole "cat pee" thing, is that in the wine world, it is a normal descriptor. Its also described as gooseberry. Most American's don't know what gooseberry tastes/smells like. It happens to closely resemble cat pee. The most notable "cat pee" wines are Bordeaux whites, or Sauvignon blanc varietal wines.

Is this a question about hops you have used and are getting a cat pee taste? If so, that could be oxidisation.

I don't think I even want to associate any hop with cat pee. I'd never shake the image!! :cross:

I don't even want to know how anyone would know what "cat pee" flavor is. Aroma, yes. Flavor, oh heck no! :eek:

Wait a minute, perhaps I protest to much? Yuk!

The only flavors are: sweet, salty, bitter, sour, and depending on what you believe umami and/or pungent.

What most people mean when they say "flavor" is a mixture of one of these flavors with aroma. A hop with a cat urine aroma will taste like a combination of that and bitter.

In wine, the catty aroma is often described as black currant, which is apt.

As to gooseberry, I have heard "cat urine on a gooseberry bush" but I think black currant is probably closer than gooseberry, at least to the quintessential sauv blanc aroma (and simcoe).

I'm quite familiar with the taste of normal black currant and black current juice, I would say it is nowhere near what I imagine cat pee would taste like. Is it that different in wine?

I don't get that but others do from the same beers, so I think it's just a personal thing.

I think centennial dry hopping alone smells like a musty locker room. :drunk: But when combined with other dry hops it seems to be fine to me.

Cluster as a dry hop? or cluster as a bittering hop?
how much?

NEED MORE details. lol sorry

I don't get the catty flavor/aroma from simcoe at all. Those that do must be cheesed out of their minds. ;) I smelled and tasted specifically for it, and just can't find it. Having said that i have only used it in late additions. I'm pretty convinced it must vary from person to person or something, similar to how some people claim IPAs and cilantro taste like soap. I got some urine-esque aroma from a brew that was heavy on Columbus while it was still in the bucket and at bottling. However, it was completely gone after conditioning.

I've heard some people say they get a little cat pee from Citra as well, particularly when they are used early in the boil. I haven't been able to detect it from Simcoe or Cluster, but I have not tried Citra.

The only flavors are: sweet, salty, bitter, sour, and depending on what you believe umami and/or pungent.

Have to chime in here. Umami is not a matter of faith. 20-30 years ago we were taught in elementary school that there are four flavors. Scientists have discovered new flavor sensing cells on the tounge in the meantime, and the glutamate receptor is responsible for the sensation of "umami".

Never tried simcoe but I use cluster often and don't get any cattiness from it. I have even used it thruout the process(bitter, flavor, aroma, dry hop) all in the same beer and it was very citrousy, tangerine flavored

No one has mentioned New Zealand for pissy. If you want to know what cat pee smells like in a wine, go buy an inexpensive New Zealand Sauv Blanc. That's the most cat pee-ish you'll get. Another level of pissy beyond a CA or FR sauv blanc.

EDIT: Not that that's my sales pitch on NZ wines, but... none of you are the buyer, so..

Are we talking a nice Cat IPeeA here? You're in luck as I'm the expert.
Cat pee has a distinct flavor and aroma unto itself. In other words, there is no hop that can even come close to six or eight ounces of fresh cat pee added just before flameout.
PS: adding clump balls of pee to the wort is cheating.

Last edited:
Back