Castle Belgian Pale Ale Malt 55 lbs for $29.99

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

belowi

Reaction score
I’m on fence with this one. I’m not really into Belgian style beers, moreso American/West coast IPA’s. But I am local to pick up. I was hoping the Pilsner malt was on sale, I’ve bought several sacks of that on sale before and have made some tasty lagers.

I’m on fence with this one. I’m not really into Belgian style beers, moreso American/West coast IPA’s. But I am local to pick up. I was hoping the Pilsner malt was on sale, I’ve bought several sacks of that on sale before and have made some tasty lagers.

Just beacuse it's Belgian pale ale malt doesnt mean you have to brew Belgian beers with it ;)
I'm in Europe and dont have access to your normal Amerian 2-row but have used Castle Pale Ale malt plenty of times to brew an AIPA and other non-Belgian beers. It will of course be maltier so if you want/excpet the same flavour profile as 2-row then maybe it's indeed not the right choice for you but I like the extra complexity.
It is very similar to Vienna malt and great for making session IPA's if you want to win a bit more body in the low gravity beer without over doing in on the crystal malt.

Just beacuse it's Belgian pale ale malt doesnt mean you have to brew Belgian beers with it ;)
I'm in Europe and dont have access to your normal Amerian 2-row but have used Castle Pale Ale malt plenty of times to brew an AIPA and other non-Belgian beers. It will of course be maltier so if you want/excpet the same flavour profile as 2-row then maybe it's indeed not the right choice for you but I like the extra complexity.
It is very similar to Vienna malt and great for making session IPA's if you want to win a bit more body in the low gravity beer without over doing in on the crystal malt.
So after checking one of my existing recipes by substituting US 2-row with this malt at 70% of the grain bill, I noticed the diastatic power value of the recipe only being “45”. Not that I really know what that value means, but it’s normally much higher then that with 2-row. I’m game for something a little more maltier, but I don’t want to end up with a batch of wort that won’t convert. Any experience with this aspect?

What if you "cut" this Castle malt with your normal 2-row? say 50/50 mix or similar? stretch out your grain bill to save some money?
I have a sack of Viking Pale (not the newer extra-pale) that I got for about $25 on a super-sale at the MoreBeer store. I have been mixing it in with my regular 2-row or pilaster as needed.

Back