Caster Sugar for Priming?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBBREW95

Reaction score
So had planned on using carbonation drops for priming my beer as I'm bottling today, but I've just realised i don't have enough drops for the entire batch.

The only sugar I have is caster sugar. Has anyone used this for priming before? Brewing a pilsner if that's of any consequence. Thanks!

Caster (castor) sugar should be fine for priming; it's the same sucrose as granulated sugar, only it has finer grains. I would suggest that you batch prime with it, rather than prime the individual bottles (as you would with the drops). This will make it easier to weigh out the appropriate amount for the batch. I highly recommend measuring your priming sugar by weight rather than volume. The caster sugar is finer than regular table sugar, and as such it packs more efficiently in a given volume. So 1/4 cup of caster sugar will weigh significantly more than 1/4 cup of table (granulated) sugar.

Back