Cast Iron Burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think I've ever seen a cast iron burner over 75,000 BTU. That thing is a monster!

Apparently a lot of the fryer manufacturers source that same unit. At 10 psi it's only rated at 55KBTU, but with th 20 PSI regulator, 185KBTU. I have one and like it a lot.

They're all virtually identical. The difference in BTUs is determined by the regulator. This particular burner can use up to 20 psi, but works just fine at 10 psi (that's what I use on my brew stand).

Looks like a Metal Fusion 4" jet burner, Ag supplies price is best i have seen yet for their product. If you crank up the pressure they will thow an impressive flame out, but you need to provide enough distance between burner and kettle to get clean combustion. Gas burns in two stages, propane to carbon monoxide in light blue flame, carbon monoxide to carbon dioxide in dark blue outer flame. If inner light blue flame hits a cooler surface as in the kettle you get a lot of soot and carbon monoxide blowing around, so space burner so the light blue inner flames almost touch kettle.

That looks exactly like the one that came with my new bayou classic. I couldn't find the BTUs for it in the box, but their website said that the replacement head was 150000 BTUs. Sweet.

Back