Cast iron burner propane help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lotusworker

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just started putting together my equipment to make the shift from kitchen extract and partial brewing to all grain. I came across a free burner and stand that was a little rusty, but I manage to clean it up pretty good. It looks like a standard cast iron burner, but I don't know where to start on checking if this is operational.

I am need of a propane hose and regulator. I am not certain what screws into the back end of the burner itself. I can probably figure out the size of the bolt hole, but no idea what goes in there.

Is there anything else other than the hose and regulator that you recommend. Here are some pictures that i took (see attached). Note: that there is a cap that goes over the screw hole (or whatever you call it) to i guess regulate the oxygen input. I took the picture without this piece, but it is intact.

any other suggestions?? Where could you find the piece. Home depot and lowes didn't have a clue..they sent me to the gas grill section and I tried looking in the fittings section, but you know how that goes.

IMAG0708.jpg

IMAG0716.jpg

IMAG0717.jpg

Google wkaf1b burner and look at Images. You are missing the air shutter and the inlet fitting...

Cheers!

[edit: the burner element is actually an WKAF1B from King Kooker - looks similar to an SP-10 burner]

You're missing the orifice that controls the amount of fuel being fed into the burner... and the hose, and the air shutter.

I always get SP-10 and SQ-14 burners mixed up - and it doesn't help that Googling either will show references for the other.

Anyway, what you actually have is a WKAF1B burner from King Kooker. It's a high pressure propane burner, but I'm not sure which regulator they originally shipped with (it's either 0-10 or 0-30psi).

If you zoom into the image on this Amazon page you'll see the same text cast into the diffuser plate as in your picture.

You'll have to dig around for the regulator, orifice, and air shutter. If the SP-10 regulator and orifice would work, you could make up an air shutter yourself (there isn't much to it). If you have to buy all three missing pieces, the cost of replacement parts may exceed the price of a new Bayou Classic SP-10 burner (which includes the burner, regulator, orifice, air shutter, and stand)...

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks you are right about the burner..it might be cheaper to buy a new stand in the long run. I will still get it working. I just bought a keggle and the stand is too small. This will be good for a second burner.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

bja - yeah, it looks like it's the same...

Rather than buying parts to fix an old one, why not spend $8.49 and get a new one?

I've been using this burner for several years and it easily boils 16 gallons.

Rather than buying parts to fix an old one, why not spend $8.49 and get a new one?

I've been using this burner for several years and it easily boils 16 gallons.

I ended up buying a new one for like $7 bucks..waiting for the orifice/regulator hose.

Back